WWII British ammo boots

Danny P

My son who is 16 years old has started to collect some British WWII webbing. Now he likes to know the difference between the ammo boots with and without the hobnailed soles. And how about the horseshoe toe and heel? Which type of shoes will he need for an infantry display? Are there perhaps some good sites or forums on the internet?

Many thanks,

on behalf of my son Bas

All WW2 ammo boots had the heel and toe irons. The boots without the hobnails are drivers boots.

For an infantry display, the ones with the studs, or hobnails are correct.

There were other variations, Indian, Canadian and Australian issued boots were all different in some way (I don't know about New Zealand boots), and then there are the various types of jungle boot...............

You can go on forever!

Incidentally, my son regularly drives in the standard hobnailed variety and never has a problem - I certainly wouldn't risk it, walking in them is bad enough!

on leaving school my dad took me and a lad who worked for us to the army and navy stores in Goole to get some work boots. I bought a pair of unissued pair of leather soled hob nailed boots for 8 shillings john bought a pair of US issued rubber soled boots that looked wellie length for 5 shillings  next day we cut about 8 inch of Johns boots with angle grinder he was still wearing them years later. mine fell to bits with in a month soaking up oil. Needless to say dad gave me a ten bob note and told me to go  buy 2 pair like johns this was about 1970

Edited by cosrec