"RED BALL EXPRESS" 1952 Film on TV

Jessie The Jeep

Hipkins device was a set of plates that wrapped around the rear duel wheels for added traction and increased floatation. Not around both sets of wheels like an endless track, but just around each pair of wheels. They were circular.

The scene was only 1 or 2 seconds and I'll have to wait till I get the replay. But with so much Sci Fi on it may not be my turn again till tomorrow!!!

The trucks used in the making of the film in 1952 were actually part of the National Guard.CCKW's were used by the US military into the mid 1950's and looking at photos of US forces during the Korean war show that CCKW's were still in "front line" use at that time.as you say many were supplied to European countries as part of the MDAP in the 1950's and there are pictures of the French using CCKW's in French IndoChina (Vietnam) and Algiers.

There are many CCKW's still surviving in Europe and the USA and I'm sure there are CCKW's or at least remains of them in most countries around the globe.

Matt.