Car Club Picnic - Warplane Heritage Museum

jpsmit

A different sort of Military vehicle. :)

Sunday past was my car club picnic - held at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum - in Hamilton Ontario - about an hour west of Toronto. It is a great museum as it is almost entirely military planes - and the goal is that each should be flying. So, while we were there there was a Stearman biplane giving rides. The second best part is that the planes being restored are being restored in public view, so, I have watched them restore a Bollingbroke for almost 20 years now. The most famous resident is the Lancaster (one of two as you probably know) a good day was had by all!

IMG-1750.JPG

IMG-1746.JPG

IMG-1749.JPG

IMG-1751.JPG

IMG-1748.JPG

Edited by jpsmit

On 8/28/2018 at 10:32 AM, LarryH57 said:

If so then its not appropriate to give it D-Day stripes!

Much better would be to paint it as something operating in the South West Pacific!

I know even less about planes than tanks etc - so, this is what the website says: The aircraft now displays the markings of a B-25J of RAF No. 98 Squadron, which fought over North West Europe during 1944-45

On 8/28/2018 at 12:39 PM, LarryH57 said:

BTW - Once 'Just Jane' Lancaster gets airborne, would the Canadians mind coming back in their Lancaster for another summer so we can see a three Lancaster formation, not seen in the UK forthe best part of 70 years I guess.

I'll ask :)

The only photographs i can find of 98 Squadron Mitchell IIIs all show glazed noses.

In fact, I can't recall seeing any photographs of gun nosed Mitchells in RAF service. (But then again I struggle to recall what I did yesterday!)