Bedford OYC Water Carrier - Preserved Example?

SimonBrown

The OYC was a Bedford OY 3 ton chassis and cab bodied by external suppliers. In the case of a tanker likely to have been Butterfields or Thompson’s. There seem to be quite a few in preservation if google images is to be believed

Edited by simon king
OP corrected posting

There were 2 sizes of tank.

There is one with a larger tank at the RAF fire museum that was at Scampton then moved to North west Lincolnshire and is moving again, it was in need of another restoration.

I saw a picture of a fresh restored one with small tank and canvas cover in the last few years.

Peter. 

Just out of interest the book said-?? Bedford OY water tankers came as 350-gal and 500-gal capacity tanks by Butterfields single filling port midway along the spine of the tank. Both types used by the Army while the smaller 350-gal type R.A.F. use. The 800-gal petrol tanker in two compartment tank two filling ports along the spine apparently Army issue only. There are a number of each type around  

Thanks all - much appreciated. The Bedford OYC on the Thistlegorm was originally thought to be a petrol tanker, but evidence has been uncovered that questions that view - hence the request to see if there are any preserved examples to compare.

As much as I would love to restore something like a Bedford, I fear other projects will keep me away from the spanners for a few years. One project I can now reveal is a book all about the SS Thistlegorm and her cargo is being worked on by the team ready for publication very soon.

This forum has been particularly generous assisting Alex Mustard and, to a lesser degree myself, on vehicle identification. For this we are really grateful and is duly acknowledged.

Being an iBook it means we can include the 3D models of the cargo and vessel such as these:

3D Models of the wreck and cargo

Edited by SimonBrown

17 hours ago, Baz48 said:

Just out of interest the book said-?? Bedford OY water tankers came as 350-gal and 500-gal capacity tanks by Butterfields single filling port midway along the spine of the tank. Both types used by the Army while the smaller 350-gal type R.A.F. use. The 800-gal petrol tanker in two compartment tank two filling ports along the spine apparently Army issue only. There are a number of each type around  

I have checked the Observers Fighting Vehicle Directory (what a gem!) and it says the 500 gallon variant appeared from 1943 onwards. The ship sank in 1941, thus could only have been loaded with 350 gallon tankers.

So it will be a 350 gallon variant we seek - if one survives?

Edited by SimonBrown

6 hours ago, john1950 said:

Have you Identified the mystery object. I have come accross someone in Northumberland who has dived the wreck several times over the years.

Not yet, no. The mystery object has remained exactly that...and left alone they have gone and bred another one at the back of hold No 2.

14 hours ago, john1950 said:

It has occupied my little grey sells but to no avail yet. Where is the cargo manifest when you need it.

Good question.

A handwritten partial copy may have turned up but its not complete and has not been fully released for scrutiny by the chap who found it. 

12 hours ago, mogmaner said:

Would there be a copy of the manifest with the insurance underwriters for the ship.

In this case, it appears not unfortunately.

Records of cargo should be with, Customer, Shipping Agent, Ships Company, Ship Captain, Port of Loading, Insurance Company or Agent/Broker, Stevador Company, Recieving Port and the relivent companys and people at that end. After all of this time it is going to be a long drawn out affair, with only hope and anticipation to keep the quest alive.