Green Gloss Paint

ploughman

Question

Was checking the detail on MERLIN for my Series 3 Landrover CL.

Found the entry and noticed that the colour is listed as Green Gloss

Date in service 1-1-78 - 6-7-98.

Does anyone know the detail of what paint should be used?  Other than it being Green and Glossy. 😃

A RAL number would help as well.

Thanks.

Edited by ploughman

12 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, 10FM68 said:
1 hour ago, ploughman said:

Was checking the detail on MERLIN for my Series 3 Landrover CL.

Found the entry and noticed that the colour is listed as Green Gloss

Date in service 1-1-78 - 6-7-98.

Does anyone know the detail of what paint should be used?  Other than it being Green and Glossy. 😃

A RAL number would help as well.

Thanks.

Not  RAL  , it is a British Standard Shade ,  3 qty. bronze greens but it is DEEP

Deep Bronze Green BS381:224

2 minutes ago, 10FM68 said:

10 68

1 hour ago, ploughman said:

Thanks for the replies.

Thought DBG was a possibility but wondered if there was a gloss version of the IRR Green but not IRR if you get my meaning.

IRR Green  ,   done as Solihull factory finish  -  I have always had my doubts that there was any IRR component there (obtained at first re-finish).  That being the case it is just the  NATO IRR Green colour  @ full lusterless , meaning with most paints 50% matting base , the rest being the resins and colour pigments etc.

So - to obtain what you want , you could order  -  the mix. of  NATO  IRR  Green colour but with the varnish content  instead of the matting base.   I have actually done this (but in reverse) with cellulose ,  the problem with cellulose being that 50%  matting base is the absolute maximum , and you don't achieve what I would call full lusterless.  What you get is matter than satin and is probably a true matt.  

I have tried this trick with 'synthetics'  and it does not work as good.

TRACTOL  327 Black , comes out more or less satin.

Both NATO Green  and  T 318  TRACTOL  (Tekaloid mix , this is traditional coach paint , has more varnish than TRACTOL which is a machinery enamel , oil and fuel resistant when through dry) ,  this was  RAL 6003  OLIVE DRAB  ,  this came out with a bit more gloss than satin.

Some paint mixers will prepare a swatch in advance , although I think I have only managed that from the actual paint manufacturer.

Edited by ruxy
spelin

2 hours ago, ploughman said:

wondered if there was a gloss version of the IRR Green but not IRR if you get my meaning.

Yes there is a gloss NATO Green (ie not IRR & matt) I used to have a tin of it, was used on some RAF vehicles

Answered my own question today.

Went rooting about in the dark recesses and found a bit of unrepainted DBG lurking under the Gear lever boot.

Guess that means that a repaint is on the cards sometime in the future.

Thanks again.

2 hours ago, ploughman said:

Answered my own question today.

Went rooting about in the dark recesses and found a bit of unrepainted DBG lurking under the Gear lever boot.

Guess that means that a repaint is on the cards sometime in the future.

Thanks again.

Yours is a 1978 CL  ,  it would not have stayed Bronze Green long when in service , I can't recall seeing any that did.  The driver training CL's around Catterick that era. were sprayed NATO green (no black DP).  Looking at the photograph of your truck - it seems very presentable , seems sprayed in a OD a shade or two away from NG and towards satin .   My opinion is best maintain a Army heritage appearance with a paint that is easily cleaned (as yours should).   It is a very rare 88" CL  , not a , as now rare farmers 88"  Basic with a de-luxe bonnet  (that I don't recall NFU tight-wads fitting in any case)..

On 8/16/2018 at 10:58 PM, ruxy said:

Yours is a 1978 CL  ,  it would not have stayed Bronze Green long when in service , I can't recall seeing any that did.  The driver training CL's around Catterick that era. were sprayed NATO green (no black DP).  Looking at the photograph of your truck - it seems very presentable , seems sprayed in a OD a shade or two away from NG and towards satin .   My opinion is best maintain a Army heritage appearance with a paint that is easily cleaned (as yours should).   It is a very rare 88" CL  , not a , as now rare farmers 88"  Basic with a de-luxe bonnet  (that I don't recall NFU tight-wads fitting in any case)..

Thanks for the comments.

Will probably keep it as plain green.

As you say it would have been in that colour for the majority of its service life.

I cannot recall seeing any in DBG when I went through Church Crookham in 78 and 82