Matchless WD G3L Engine plates

bigduke6

I'm in the process of making my own engine plates and also repairing the ones I have, I've used my originals for templates, but they have some elongated holes which I can just make out some of the centres but its a bit hit and miss.

I'm after a NOS one or a reproduction one to buy if anyone has one ? I'm only going to use it as a template and get all the correct diameters of the holes etc. 

I've got 3mm steel plate but was going to use 3.5mm to beef it up, does anyone know if this would cause any major issues as my originals come in at 2.8mm but are like fag paper in parts where they have worn against the crankcase. 

I can't help with any spare engine plates but I imagine they would have been 1/8" originally??  However I wonder if you might experience problems with the mag platform if you make them too thick?

Have you tried Steve Surbey at 'AMC Classics' for decent originals?

Ron

Note that the G3 and G3L employed different engine/gearbox plates...........they were basically the same but the G3L type are thinner-gauge steel that the earlier G3 with "light" reinforcing around various strategic points, all part of the original weight-reduction exercise.................

As the war progressed however, it is likely that many G3L's when being rebuilt by workshops were fitted with the earlier, heavier G3 plates as basically identical and workshops would usually employ any suitable serviceable parts.......

Thanks Ron, Wdbikemad and Lex,  

Ron It was Steve who suggested I repair mine or make a set, as he believed they made the originals too light...... the plates I have, have the reinforce/spacer for the Mag platform so set that as the max thickness, will check again on that measurement.

Lex will email you when I can, in the meantime I was thinking even a trace of an original would be sufficient for what I need, as long as I can get the correct dimensions of the holes which would mean measuring them with a vernier and writing it next to the traced hole......  ( if anyone has the spare time to do this, a new made set of plates would be theirs for the effort)

Edited by bigduke6

Thanks Lex, Sorry for delay..... internet on ship not so good and now in Corfu so it's hit and miss. Email on the way. 

At present only looking to make a perfect template, and use when required. I'm looking for someone to do a DXF file.

Have two at work roughed out ready to mark out. 

Ron,  my originals come in at 2.8mm which is .3 mm less than than 1/8. The thickness across the plate and spacer/ reinforce for the mag platform is 4.0 mm 

Yes Duke, I've realized from other posts that although the G3L plates are thinner than G3's, the thickness was made up with strips where needed. I have both bikes in my collection but the stripdowns were so long ago that I've forgotten such details. 

Ron 

• 2 months later...

Just checking this post and I'd never hit the send button from some time back so,  First of , a big thanks to Lex and Ron, Lex for lending me the G3 engine plate and Ron for being the middle man. 

The plates I,ve made come out well and there are another few on the way, just the reinforce/spacer to do but the leg work is all done. 

In the words of Rolf HarRis can you tell what it is yet

khg9sFK.jpg

Pic below is the profiles roughed out, the top plate was drilled then tacked to the other so I could drill through and use the top as a guide. 

ch10pWf.jpg

Cleaned up and ready for bead blasting. 

hkTRQsk.jpg