garys39

Great Dorset Steam Fair WW1 Convoy

Just seen this footage on facebook of a convoy of WW1 vehicles, making their way to the Great Dorset Steam Fair yesterday. Regards Gary

• Like 6

Stunning absolutely Stunning, great to see so many WWI vehicles on the move , thanks for posting wish I'd been there to see it in person.

36 minutes ago, rampant rivet said:

Stunning absolutely Stunning, great to see so many WWI vehicles on the move , thanks for posting wish I'd been there to see it in person.

Here, Here, Amazing and well done to all concerned !

What a great display.  If my Albion A10 was there I would not be able to park it with the others.  The Albion has a unusual way of keeping up the oil on the chains.  You fill the rear hubs and it escapes from the inside of the hub into a "V" shaped collector which directs it down onto the chains. It then drops onto the roadway.  This was OK in 1916 but it took a bit of convincing the authorities that that was how it was built as under todays laws you are not allowed to drop oil onto the road.  No oil leaks allowed.  I would have hated to have left my mark on that lovely concrete in the photo. 

The full story has been published in this Months CMV so I thought I might add some otherwise unpublished photos. These ones were everybody getting ready for the trip.

IMG_3850.JPG

IMG_3854.JPG

IMG_3856.JPG

IMG_3858.JPG

IMG_3859.JPG

IMG_3861.JPG

IMG_3863.JPG

IMG_3865.JPG

IMG_3867.JPG

IMG_3868.JPG

• Like 1

This was a fantastic spectacle. Perhaps we should do another for the armistice in November?  How about Salisbury Cathedral as a venue ???

• Like 1

Excellent set of pictures, and a really good day.  Spotted myself quite a few of them! 

Here are a few pictures I took once we had arrived at the Great Dorset Steam Fair site.

Nick

IMG_20180811_182704093.jpg

IMG_20180811_181847935.jpg

IMG_20180811_181858903.jpg

IMG_20180811_182131886.jpg

• Like 2