Antifreeze indicator

rampant rivet

You would think that such markings would be covered either in Equipment Regulations that cover painting & marking of vehicles or RAOS for Maintenance in RAOC Vehicle Depots, although I have quite a number of these documents no such marking is defined.

In theatres with anti-frost requirements anti-freeze was to be used in the prescribed concentration, there is no mention of a marking to that effect.

In all other theatres radiators were to be filled with water. If the cooling system was drained a "RADIATOR EMPTY" sign was to be displayed.

Vehicles that would normally be filled with anti-freeze but temporarily filled with water were to be marked with a red "W" two inches high on a white background.

So it would seem likely where a theatre requirement was the red "O" then it too should be two inches high. This seems to tally with the picture I took some years ago.

Incidentally Defence Council Instruction (Army) 267 1970 Para 11 a. Points out that all vehicle radiators in units & depots are to be filled with anti-freeze all year round and that "the anti-freeze sign is not to be used". So it does acknowledge the existence of the sign. The use of the red "W" & "RADIATOR EMPTY" sign was to continue.

Scan0125 (Medium).jpg

Interesting Jez,  I remember a discussion somewhere where it was suggested that red and or blue markers had been found on original WW2 paint work.

I found a red marker on my Canadian/ British operated GPW on the radiator and the stencil on the grill "Antifreeze 10.43" in white on the original factory paint which I reapplied during restoration.   The stencil font is interesting and is I think without doubt war time, the radiator marker may be contemporary with the stencil or possibly applied during it's post war service up to point of release in November 1957. 

Pete

SDC17699.JPG.ad9f8dd10f7fa5d49b7e2e6a32c215f7.JPG

Yes Pete my MW drivers handbook is dated Feb 1940 am going to paint a white square with red circle per description on page 26 above. I guess the blue circle represents a different year.

Plus may paint the rad cap red too, am just starting to research what markings my vehicle would have if used by the 2nd or 5th Bat Gloucestershire Reg in France 1940 but that's another story 🙃9