Morris C8

Sigve

• Sigve changed the title to Morris C8
  • 2 months later...

Have confirmed that this is a softskin wireless. Have all the equipment (I think?), but need a photo or something to se how this is to be mounted. Hope to get some help. Have not found anything on the net yet 😕

IMG_3079.JPG

You will find a generic layout of a 15cwt radio body in Volume 2 of the Book Wireless for the Warrior.  I would assume that it would identical to the layout in a Bedford which are the most common version.  Must be pictures on this site. Also look at the article in Wheels and Tracks on these vehicles which may show a view.

• Thanks 1

Thanks REME 245,

Found a lot of info. We where now able to place all the big boxes and table. The smaler bits and pieces will take time, but I think most parts are there. The Morris is now plased in our museum store.

IMG_3183.JPG

• Like 2

Possibly an LAD within a Royal Signals Regiment unless you are saying one is painted over the other?

There was a 13 Regiment Royal Signals post-war so a possibilty.     http://british-army-units1945on.co.uk/royal-signals/regiments---major-units-2/13-regiment-2.html

C8's  are very lare war vehicles and appear to have seen limited war-time service.

Edited by REME 245
  • Thanks 1

Hi David,

Thanks.

This is out of military service. The farmer that had it, only removed the interior in the back and built on brackets for a sowplog at the front. He have also replaced the mirrors and the shilded ignition, but these parts came with the vehicle. He placet it in the barn some 40years ago. My gues is that he bought it from the army late 50s.

Trying to find out how this came to the Norwegian army. This must have been before 1949: there are no trace of the new reg nr. so no key-card for this one.

Sigve

Congratulation with it, it will be a nice addition to Rogaland. 
would be possible for you to take some more pictures of the table, in the back,. I made a copy of one a year or so ago, but would like to see if I got the draw correct?

Cheers Niels 

Sigve,

Thanks for the pictures, if possible please take one of the passengers seat back rest as I need to make one. Seeing as the vehicle appears to be in such an untouched condition, I think as many pictures as possible would be good for future reference for anyone tackling a restoration. Pictures of original untouched C8's seem to be quite scarce. I would think that the loop is for a cabling route, maybe to the battery but that's just a guess.

Regards,

jon

Thanks David,

Smal info: This is not my truck. It belongs to a museum - Rogaland Krigshistoriske Museum Norway.  I`m a voluntary at the museum. This way I can have as many military vehicles as I like without hiding anything. I only have some for myselves 🙂

For tje Morris I have been looking at all the photos of MWR`s that I can find, and this helped a lot. But....... I will need more info specific for the Morris. F.e. The tailgate on the Morris is narrower than the one on the Bedford - So the rear boxes can not be opened backwords??

Another detail that came with this truck is the 3pieze extention for the canvas:

IMG_3081.JPG

Hi Sigve

Do you have the original canvas tilt for the truck? Do those three canvas extension pieces attach to the bottom of it by any chance? If so you may have proved something that I have been wondering about for a while - that on the 15cwt FFW like the MWR and your museums Morris, it was possible to take the tilt frame off the truck to use as a separate radio tent. That is why the tilt frame is extended front and back. Once on the ground, the trucks canvas would not be long enough so the three additional sections were intended to be attached to the bottom of the trucks canvas to fully enclose the tent. Were there any extension pieces for the four legs as well? The two circles are intended to close off the speaking tubes when used as a tent.

As with the MWR, the planks attached to the tilt frames are only intended to provide stability when the frame is being used away from the vehicle as a separate tent

Edited by simon king

Simon,

I think that the idea of the long hoops and extension pieces for the canvas was that you could have more headroom within the truck if you were not needing to be very mobile. The centre hoop could not be lengthened as it would overlap the wheel arch opening. Certainly you could use it as a tent (and there are photos of that being done with 8cwt tilts) but the radio instalation is very much built into the 15cwts and would then not be protected from the weather. This is a purpose built radio truck, not a GS truck with a radio. If the tilt were raised as I suggest the wooden planks that tie the hoops together would be useful in preventing the tilt blowing inwards .

David