AmphibAndy

T16 regulator replacement for modern

Chaps,  I have a T16 Carrier fitted with the Ford Flat Head , running 12 volt and negative earth as standard.  The dynamo that sits on the top of the engine on the T16 is the size of  5 litre can of paint.  Enormous thing.  The original regulator sits next to the driver and is a strange affair , similar in looks to a Jeep regulator, but is held in position by a clamp and is now in need of replacing.  I have decided its time for a modern unit.  Not being an auto electrician, but reasonably handy, can anyone suggest a regulator that will replace this.  I note some of the early 60s regulators as fitted to Jaguars, Minis etc have 5 or 6 terminals where as we only have the three on the T16.    I would welcome some guidance on this as I am keen to get it charging prior to going to Combined Ops in a couple of weeks.    thanks in advance. 

ok , I know about these but generally the solid state regulators are a lot of money when a standard regulator would do the job.   I will ask him for a price but I dont hold out my hopes for a reasonable price solution.   thanks anyway

Maybe worth aksing him about an electronic ignition. I have fitted them to both mine. The one on My Dodge the WC51 has done about 15 years now, never a problem. Katy the WC54 that one is only about 5 or 6 years old.

Thanks,  I have bought an electronic distributor made especially for the V8 by Stromberg.  Its the regulator I am concerned with at the moment though.   Andrew 

Thanks Nick.  I have one of these on my M20, I had forgotten  about them to be honest.  I shall read up on it now.   Good thinking!