Early 1943 Ford GPW

DFC1943Fl.Lt.

Hi all, can you help please. I have just put a new steering box in my jeep only to find I must have nicked the oil capillary pipe from the block to the gauge. Now this pipe is a very small transparent plastic pipe in which you can see the oil travel inside the tube and is connected from the engine block via a small brass nut/union and then straight to the gauge. Can anyone tell me where I may be able to source one of these pipes please. Have tried 'Jeep parts' and Dallas with no joy.

Thanks Steve. 

2 minutes ago, sirhc said:

Don’t know about a transparent pipe?but I bought the metal and flexible pipes along with the fittings and gauge from Jeeparts at Beltring the other week.

Yer I phoned up today and spoke with them but said they had nothing in stock like that. I reckon the pipe I have on mine is some sort of nylon capillary pipe. Its very small bore and you can see the oil travel up the pipe to the gauge when you start the engine. Just that my gauges are all old looking and a bit bashed and don't really want a new looking oil gauge as it will stand out from the others.

11 hours ago, DFC1943Fl.Lt. said:

Yer I phoned up today and spoke with them but said they had nothing in stock like that. I reckon the pipe I have on mine is some sort of nylon capillary pipe. Its very small bore and you can see the oil travel up the pipe to the gauge when you start the engine. Just that my gauges are all old looking and a bit bashed and don't really want a new looking oil gauge as it will stand out from the others.

Two points here, First the pipe you describe is for not the correct fitting as sirhc has noted in his post above you want the rubber hose with metal outer braid it's a standard fitting from any of the dealers, Secondly there is no need to change your gauge the flex pipe from the block should connect to a metal pipe at or near the body gusset leg which in turn connects to the back of the gauge again this is standard part supplied by the dealers.

Here's the the metal pipe from the body gusset leg to the gauge

seal-tested-automotive-parts-oil-pressure-pipe.jpg.70c9f1d071ce146bbdf2162b312b2062.jpg

1968.jpg.294521de41bace5163460a4856a65ad1.jpg

The whole set up is shown above inside the red line, M=block adapter elbow P=short flexi hose (Oil) T=union adaptor R= gusset leg clip S= steel pipe (as in photo above) all of these components are readily available from the usual outlets here in the UK or off the web from a host of dealers 

Edited by Pete Ashby
added photos