From CVRT scorpion Wreck to running Sabre

Obitwo

Another break from the turret/fighting compartment, time to fix the sound (exhaust & silencer) so not deafening the whole surroundings everytime we start the engine. 

Since the old brackets had deteriorated completely I had bought new ones at grenmachinesurplus. Fairly easy to replace and then mount self-adhesive heat shield found at local car parts store. The new silencer I bought through a member of this forum    

IMG_7840.JPG

Avgas1.png

IMG_7979.JPG

Edited by Obitwo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

About to check the oil level in the wheel hubs and the identifying a tired a torsion bar to replace on the right side. Quickly we found out the effects of too many short garage starts with too long time in between.  

Result 1: a full day trying to solve a fuel pump gone amok just to find that it was a stuck float in the carburettor that was the cause, with the effect that whole system became flooded with fuel - learning: secure empty carburettor before storage (in this case only a month/couple of weeks was enough)

Result 2: 3-4 cylinders igniting with huge white /grey smoke screen as effect. Learning: cleaned spark plugs makes a whole world of difference :)

We'll take the torsion bar thing next time..

IMG_8490.JPG

Edited by Obitwo

• 2 years later...
On 07/08/2018 at 21:52, Obitwo said:

Merci, voici un photofrom c'est (la coque qui est) le service en Somalie (90-s) Ensuite c'était un Scimitar -reg no 65148

EDF3AAE5-1905-42F2-B5CE-ADB47D6E5645.jpeg

Restore Hope Operation, Somalia '93, Jilib city, belgian army, 1-0 platoon, B Sqn, 4 ChCh Bn

Thanks :) ! Small update, the project been standing mode for a while since we discovered that not only one but 2 torsion bars were off and needed replacement. One wheel on each side. Now they are off so as som the spring comes we’ll replace the bars ( not easy ) and install the wheels again. Next step is to mount all external boxes, and finally replace the worn Tracks with anew set.

474BEE79-5AB4-427E-AB7F-83F2CBC9209E.jpeg

55E1BC64-B29B-4305-BD31-E91E2580C0B6.jpeg

578609EF-D765-4FBB-AFF5-AA8EB22B6FE3.jpeg

3F52B7A0-7874-417A-B570-8A723F72CB6D.jpeg

Edited by Obitwo
  • Like 2

Excellent work and congratulations.

I have a vehicle that was a flatmate to yours.  It's the one behind yours in the photo in Terry's facility.  After two tours in Somalia and one in Rwanda it's seen some better days.  In fact based on your pics yours was much cleaner and more intact!  It's taken far too long but I've finally got it down to the bare hull and most of the welding done.  Your success is an inspiration.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

It is really grand to see the work and expense you have gone to with your vehicle. Despite being a self admitted terrible rivet counting anorak, I can understand and respect why you have gone down the road of making it into what it is and you are not hiding it's history in anyway or being deceptive, so it is all good. No matter what is is made up from it will have value but more importantly enjoyment for you. Grand job.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...