A couple of part questions (Crusader, Valentine SP)

Chris Camfield

Question

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions about specific bits.

First of all, at the Tank Museum back in June I noticed that the Crusader (not just theirs, but others I've seen in walkarounds) have a horizontal bar sticking out of the right side of the driver's "box".  Does anyone know what that was for?

AFc5R9b.jpg

Second question is about this box-like frame on the Valentine SP aka Archer.  I feel sure that I have seen this on other vehicles.  Did it house a toolbox?  Something else?  Was that thing strapped in place or just too heavy to move on its own? 

I was reading over the stowage list for the Archer this week - ordered it from the Tank Museum - and have been able to start to understand a lot of little details.  I was also trying to sort out what was in each stowage compartment and I think I may have conflated what was in the stowage bin pictured, and this other thing. 

Thanks in advance,

Chris

US3lMKr.jpg

6 answers to this question

Hi Chris, the last picture you show is the rack that contains the two jacking blocks, of about 3" thick each, the thickness of them is important when that rack is mounted on the right hand front mudguard on a standard Valentine, as the drivers door will not fully open, if more than this dimension! cheers Andrew.

• Like 1