OGEL again

This was mentioned in the last MVT Normandy tour up date but if read the above correctly there is an exmption regarding military vehicles over 50 years old used for historical activites  on page 11 paragraph 3 which seams to cover France ,Belgium, and Germany but not the Netherlands of course everything may change again when brexit finally happens

Edited by landrover nick

AH yes thanks. Back to how it was then. What a load of Bollocks though!! In the beginning, I accidentally applied for a 'goods' licence instead of a 'vehicle' licence. What a palava trying to cancel it when they asked me for my yearly report😣 Ron

• 4 weeks later...

I believe its quite clear there is already an exemption in place that covers our vehicles going to France next year.

PAGE 11 PARA 3, its VERY CLEAR

I think the MVT are asking people to get an OGEL because......well just because !!!!

I have asked the MVT why they believe an OGEL is now needed and they cannot give a sensible answer as to why.

Because we are coming out of the EU things may change of course BUT at this stage NO ONE knows how they will change.

Should we all get an MOT, Insurance GREEN card enough petrol in case the French wont sell us any,

I understand that the MVT have their own tour planned BUT IF THERE ARE NEW CONCRETE RULES THEN THEY SHOULD PASS THEM ON TO ALL PAID UP MEMBERS, not just the elite few.......

Yes I agree about the countries exempted and although I'm not going with the MVT tour, I have been speaking to the MVT organizer  about it. 

It's the gobbledygook that's confusing. For instance, it states that all licences that haven't been used within 24 months are automatically deleted from their files, so if you think you have one already. ...You probably haven't?

. It also states that the licence should be presented to a UK Border Force (If requested). How do they know you are not moving on to Belgium or Holland etc. once you leave these shore?

It makes me think (Like the MVT)........Best get one anyway.   

On 8/27/2018 at 6:36 AM, Ron said:

Yes I agree about the countries exempted and although I'm not going with the MVT tour, I have been speaking to the MVT organizer  about it. 

It's the gobbledygook that's confusing. For instance, it states that all licences that haven't been used within 24 months are automatically deleted from their files, so if you think you have one already. ...You probably haven't?

. It also states that the licence should be presented to a UK Border Force (If requested). How do they know you are not moving on to Belgium or Holland etc. once you leave these shore?

It makes me think (Like the MVT)........Best get one anyway.   

Ron, its not only the countries, its the VEHICLES that are exempt due to age.

The wording on page 11 para 3 is QUITE CLEAR  vehicles over 50 years old  and travelling to the mentioned countries DO NOT NEED an OGEL. That's what it says. 

Out of interest has the MVT organiser read the same paperwork ? if he has does he not understand what is written ?

If i he knows something other than that for a fact, why is it not being made public to all members.

In in fact they or he does know something are they keeping it to their selves so IF it goes belly up they can gloat and say "you should have travelled with the largest MV group in the world"

Gas I don't think any of your last comments apply. I'm sure to safeguard MVT members it's just a case of get a licence anyway as there is no fee involved. I expect the tour leaders would not want the embarrassment of answering questions if they had got it wrong. Especially regarding the different border rules that might apply after Brexit, which is likely before next June.

As a private individual traveling to Normandy next year, I'm quite happy to ignore the whole thing, but if I was in charge of a large tour I might want to be doubly sure.

I wonder why they saw fit to exempt France, Belgium and Germany and not also the Netherlands for instance?? The older than 50  historic vehicle doesn't come into play in other countries??? 

The whole thing is a farce of course, especially as no other country is remotely interested in the movement of historic vehicles within the Schengen zone.

As far as I can tell, there is no scheme for the temporary importation of vehicles to the UK...and what happens if a visitor to W&P from Europe 'exports' his own vehicle permanently from the UK when he returns after a week ?

In terms of 'our' motorcycles, Ron...I'd be extremely surprised if anyone could show that some old side-valve clunker had been adapted for military use. They certainly wouldn't recognise a civilian-painted example.

• 1 month later...

Only Historic Military vehicles over 50 years old are exempt from an OGEL visiting France so a 1986 MJ Will Need an Open General export licence, a UK requirment, apply online, ...French truck laws are different to UK if the MJ is a cargo truck body could mean it probably if not already fitted will need a working tachograph and required to use it to drive in France  ...if its over 7.5 tons gvw it cannot travel on roads at week ends too, ...a Lot to check up on, and get everything correct especially after next years March Brexit, ..

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/open-general-export-licences-ogels

Edited by Nick Johns

EU rule states any military vehicle with no wapeans build before 1946 can be export with in the EU  without paperwork. Officially you need also paperwork with military radio(parts read bolt nut etc) even if they are build before 1900 and burnd out crazy but you can end up in court

4 hours ago, monty2 said:

EU rule states any military vehicle with no wapeans build before 1946 can be export with in the EU  without paperwork. Officially you need also paperwork with military radio(parts read bolt nut etc) even if they are build before 1900 and burnd out crazy but you can end up in court

Does that mean ex mod land Rover from the 1980 will require the paper work

43 minutes ago, monty2 said:

but only if you export if you take her on holiday no problem

taking the MV on holiday is a temporary export, the OGEL is  required, it is a UK requirement, Not required for travel to France, Belgium & Germany for MV's Over 50 years old.....although no one has ever been asked to show one, ...But after Brexit???

Edited by Nick Johns

4 hours ago, Richard Farrant said:

Probably all done by number plate recognition, that is how I understood it to be.

doubt if the ANPR cameras are programmed to read the older style pre 1974 non reflective white on black number plates, the LEZ and Congestion charge zone ANPR cameras  in London can't read them

Edited by Nick Johns

When this nonsense first reared its silly head, we were told that anyone who requires a licence (by nature of the type and age of the vehicle as laid down by the latest rules) Must register with SPIRE for the OGEL.

Once you are registered, there is no need to carry or present the licence at any port or destination. You must simply keep a log of your movements......To be presented to the authority on request........Probably sometime never!!!  Ron