Bedford QL 6pdr portee

A couple of years ago I bought this rather sad looking Bedford QL and believe me, sad would be an understatement. At first I couldn't establish what version of QL it had started life as but after a session with the cutting torch and 9"  grinder, I at last found the chassis number. It was manufactured in 1944 as a QLD and has since been used, abused and comprehensively destroyed. What to do with it was the question, really it was only any good for spares but the fact that it was road registered gave it some brownie points. After a long hard think, actually not long or hard, I have decided to recreate a 1941 QL 6pdr portee. I am not likely to start in the next 18 months, so I am looking for information, plans pictures, dimensions or even the whereabouts of "Mary". I have already bought a lot of the required replacement automotive components and if in doubt, an Airfix 1:35 scale model but actually dimensions would be very welcome for either the QL or the 6pdr. I did try contacting the Royal Artillery museum in Woolwich, London before it closed but they had already closed their library.

Any information would be good, I always live in hope.

Thanks,

Jonathan

11.png

5-851b.jpg

1114.jpg

JONATHAN                                                                                                                                                     This from the data book its small but its a start when l did the Bedford mw 2pdr portee l struggled for plans but david fletcher at bovington found some it my be worth a call to the tank museum you never know what may be lurking in the archives 

bqlp.jpg

Thanks Wally, I really appreciate the assistance. I am off to the Tank Museum later in August, so a phone call might be a good idea. I understood that the information that I require would have been held by the Royal artillery but if your information came from the Tank Museum then that sounds good to me.

Thanks,

Jon

• 1 year later...
On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:08 AM, nightmare13 said:

Give James Shopland a call, He's a really helpful chap and loves his Bedford QL's, hes got more than i could count! 

Thanks nightmare, I have already emailed James earlier in the year but he wasn't available at the time, I have every intention of paying him a visit in the near future.

Jon

• 4 weeks later...

I remember seeing this QL on Milweb. If I remember, it was for sale at Greenlaw in the Scottish Borders.

As mentioned above, the Shopland collection has an Austin K5 restored as a portee. 

This K5 also came from the Scottish Borders (although not directly to Shoplands?) as it was one of several in the council depot at Selkirk, only about 20 miles away as the crow flies from Greenlaw.

17 hours ago, andy1960 said:

Brave man...looks very interesting restoration..or should I say recreation! Keeps us posted!

Not brave just stupid. The vehicle has been so cut around that there seems little point in trying to restore it to it's former glory, so as I liked the model of a portee that I made when I were a nipper, I thought why not.

12 hours ago, David I said:

I remember seeing this QL on Milweb. If I remember, it was for sale at Greenlaw in the Scottish Borders.

As mentioned above, the Shopland collection has an Austin K5 restored as a portee. 

This K5 also came from the Scottish Borders (although not directly to Shoplands?) as it was one of several in the council depot at Selkirk, only about 20 miles away as the crow flies from Greenlaw.

Interesting history thank you David.

At about the time that I removed the cab, we found out that my 85 year old  Mother has a rather bad case of cancer which has spread and is so advanced that there is nothing that can be done. She is now living with us but her loss of mental faculties is affecting her more than the cancer and she is relying on me more and more, with the result that I have very little time to spend on any of  my projects. Hopefully I have many years in which to complete my projects  but as I don't know how much longer my mother has, my earthly encumbrance's must go to the back of the que.

Jon