Stolly without a brolly (or anything else to protect it)

matchlesswdg3

Do we have some responsibility to care for our historic MVs, or "its mine, I can do what I like with it..."? Only I just spotted this poor thing on eBay.  Reportedly it "was pristine" but sat in a field for many years, in the open within a few hundred yards of what looks like the sea, its a rusty mess now.  "Rescue me!"  But too far gone to bother?  What a shame.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/alvis-stalwart/183325048397?hash=item2aaf063e4d:g:4I4AAOSwbb9bO6Sx

Theres an additional complication with this sale.....

The Stollie is on an island off Kirkcudbright that was up for sale last year. I spotted it in the drone video that the Selling agent included in their website posting of the particulars of the property (Farm + Lighthouse)

I should think it might be an interesting project moving it to the mainland!!! At least the buyer isn't picking up the tab for the move but you'll need to have the low-loader on the slipway ready to recover it.....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

The good news is, this old girl is to be saved.  

I have bought her and we are taking it off the island this month.   This will be my second stolly.

As you’ve said, the environment has taken its toll on her but I have access to a large CNC machine and sheet metal shop at work so we should have the rot taken care of pretty quickly.   

I’m still a novice at all this so any advice would be greatly received.

Dan

Edited by Dan77
  • Like 2

Hi, 

I’m from Manchester but i will keep it in Warrington at work.   To be honest, this stolly is pretty far gone but I just can’t let it be broken for spares.  

This was her when she was pristine, used to ferry goods to the island.  The new owner of the island kindly tooj this for me. 

9C43E765-93E2-4831-93C2-65CC31E091BF.jpeg

Edited by Dan77
Typing error

My spare stolly is currently on life support while it may be terminal I suspect major decorroding could save its life.

It needs new metal over the wheels both sides the full length of the load bay.. I suspect you will be carrying out similar surgery.

I don't have access to the equipment you appear to . 

I would be interested ina set . If your folding up 1 set could you fold me one at the same time?

59dcf5de6ca8f_2017-03-23113840-1608116.jpg

59dcf5de2f707_2017-03-23113835-2152862.jpg

59dcf5ddc1615_2017-03-23113822-1699058.jpg

59dcf5dda0aca_2017-03-23113848-2196447.jpg

Edited by lowfat

7 hours ago, Dan77 said:

Hi All,

The good news is, this old girl is to be saved.  

I have bought her and we are taking it off the island this month.   This will be my second stolly.

As you’ve said, the environment has taken its toll on her but I have access to a large CNC machine and sheet metal shop at work so we should have the rot taken care of pretty quickly.   

I’m still a novice at all this so any advice would be greatly received.

Dan

Dan,

It would good to see pics of the recovery process....or would that be tempting fate?

Is it running condition?

3 hours ago, lowfat said:

My spare stolly is currently on life support while it may be terminal I suspect major decorroding could save its life.

It needs new metal over the wheels both sides the full length of the load bay.. I suspect you will be carrying out similar surgery.

I don't have access to the equipment you appear to . 

I would be interested ina set . If your folding up 1 set could you fold me one at the same time?

59dcf5de6ca8f_2017-03-23113840-1608116.jpg

59dcf5de2f707_2017-03-23113835-2152862.jpg

59dcf5ddc1615_2017-03-23113822-1699058.jpg

59dcf5dda0aca_2017-03-23113848-2196447.jpg

I’d be happy too. Will you need the bits quickly?

Dan

2 hours ago, justinb said:

Brilliant , glad it’s being saved ,

just about got mine sorted now , just need to find or make the swim steering levers in the cab and finish swapping the seals .

E7B3EFF2-B994-46A2-9290-8612B73AF7D8.jpeg

I could probably make you a set if you get stuck.   She looks amazing by the way.  

1 hour ago, Tarland said:

Dan,

It would good to see pics of the recovery process....or would that be tempting fate?

Is it running condition?

Unfortunately not at the moment.   I think the engine will be ok but the linkages and dives might have suffered a bit.  

7 hours ago, Dan77 said:

I’d be happy too. Will you need the bits quickly?

Dan

Well its been 4 years in my care. I have been picking things up as I go. Im in no rush just looks worse than it is. I have been told by people who have done the  repair before its about 40 hours for a skilled welder. It would be good to get the panels done. the spannering it needs is a walk in the park then.

Quite a few years back now, I was chatting with the late Bob James after he had crawled out from under his Stolly, with fag in mouth......and I was asking him about the problem of drive train fragility.  He the told me what his "fix" was, which involved disconnecting summat, but for the life of me I cannot now recall!  Back then I had dreams of owning one, but reality got in the way!  So good luck to those who can and do!

you can disconnect and remove the driveshafts to the front and rear wheels. Your stolly is now 2 wheel drive and alleged behaves better. Many people talk of manufacturing disconnects to use on the go its very popular in Australia  .

4 hours ago, lowfat said:

Well its been 4 years in my care. I have been picking things up as I go. Im in no rush just looks worse than it is. I have been told by people who have done the  repair before its about 40 hours for a skilled welder. It would be good to get the panels done. the spannering it needs is a walk in the park then.

4 hours ago, lowfat said:

No problem when I make mine, I’ll make a set for you.    If  there’s anything else you neee let me know.  We large metal plant rooms and shipping containers at work so the hull and body isn’t too daunting.  It’s the mechanical that has me a little worried.   

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

There are stollys about in the UK which have had disconnects fitted, but what and how I have no idea! 

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

There are stollys about in the UK which have had disconnects fitted, but what and how I have no idea! 

I have been thinking about this a lot. A dog clutch arrangement  with the shaft held by a bearing each side would work.  But it would Be nice to have the disconnect remote so you don’t have to crawl under the load deck.  Perhaps a take off from the air somewhere would do it.  

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 12:48 PM, Dan77 said:

But it would Be nice to have the disconnect remote so you don’t have to crawl under the load deck.  Perhaps a take off from the air somewhere would do it.  

Cable operated is another option.

On 8/14/2018 at 12:48 PM, Dan77 said:

I have been thinking about this a lot. A dog clutch arrangement  with the shaft held by a bearing each side would work.  But it would Be nice to have the disconnect remote so you don’t have to crawl under the load deck.  Perhaps a take off from the air somewhere would do it.  

Ask around on the Yahoo Stolly group ...

Andy

On 8/13/2018 at 9:33 PM, justinb said:

Brilliant , glad it’s being saved ,

just about got mine sorted now , just need to find or make the swim steering levers in the cab and finish swapping the seals .

E7B3EFF2-B994-46A2-9290-8612B73AF7D8.jpeg

... and a swim board?

Andy

23 hours ago, MatchFuzee said:

23 hours ago, MatchFuzee said:

There are quite a few cable and lever op disconnects on the market. The Americans seem to fit them to their 4 wheelers.  They’re round about 400 dollars.