Triumph 3HW clutch tool, whats the tpi?

T8Hants

I have had my 3HW since 1983 and have yet to hear it run, it has only 5000 genuine miles on the clock and was used for 6 months in 1947 having been sold off as un-issued ex-WD.

I now realise at 64 my endless supply of round tuits and wheni cans is probably limited so I thought I had better finish the thing and get riding it.

I need to get the clutch off and the puller that  I though came with it is a 1" by 20tpi and wont go on (I haven't forced it) can someone confirm what I think I am picking up on the net that I need a 1" x 26tpi cycle thread puller for a 3HW clutch basket. 

I would be grateful some kind soul confirm that is the correct tool or tell me what I should be looking out for - Thank-you.

Gareth

I just checked mine (I have a 3SW and a 3HW) It is indeed 1" x 20tpi. Draganfly have them but don't mention the tpi.

https://draganfly.co.uk/index.php/accessories-a-misc/product/36952-

PS I see what you mean on the internet where 26tpi is mentioned for singles. I suppose it depends if a later clutch is fitted? Since Draganfly quote the correct part number, it might be an idea to phone and ask them.

Ron

Edited by Ron

Thanks for that Ron, I managed to find my thread gauges and also did a check with a whit bolt the puller is confirmed at 20TPI.

So time to libate the Triumph with another cash sacrifice, I assume they are UNF thread.

For those who like the details mine is a Feb 1945 machine, the 744th into the last contract, frame TL54192 a picture of the start of I hope the final full restoration.

Gareth

SAM_5021.JPG

26 minutes ago, T8Hants said:

Thanks for that Ron, I managed to find my thread gauges and also did a check with a whit bolt the puller is confirmed at 20TPI.

So time to libate the Triumph with another cash sacrifice, I assume they are UNF thread.

Hi Gareth,

UNF?  good grief no!

1" x 20 tpi is a BSC (British Standard Cycle thread

No UNF on a 3HW Gareth. Either BSCycl, BSF or Whitworth. The 20 tpi is BSCycle which has a different thread angle to UNF. 

Ron

Typing together Richard!

3HW 235.jpg

Edited by Ron