What BMC diesel engine is this?

.303fan

Question

7 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, .303fan said:

What BMC block is this? Got it with a bunch of parts and want to find out what it is before i sell. It came out of a land rover but the owner said it is better for a canal boat, as a anchor. 

All help is appreciated.  

20180713_174502.jpg

20180713_174459.jpg

20180713_174445.jpg

Looks like it could be a BMC 2.2, there were often retro fitted to Land Rovers.

Boat anchor is probably the best use, going by the state of it.

It turns over freely and the fuel spill line is the same as a land rover for the banjo bits and glow plugs.

For the most it is the minor plumbing that is missing and no starter or alternator. Still could be usefull for someone. 

2.5 with the cast rocker cover. used in fx4 taxis, vans, tractors, canal boats, very loud engine, known for being gutless. From the pics it has some conversion brackets and fabricated bell housing adapter fitted.

Boating fraternity would be interested...........

BMC made a 2.2 and a 2.5. I had a 2.5 with a cracked head and a 2.2 with a cracked block. No one told me I couldn't put the 2.2 head on the 2.5 block, so I did and it worked. They are a bit low revving but in my opinion superior to the Landy Disiels of the time. Problem with them is getting a vacum to the servo. I eventually bought an old Isuzu alternator with the vacum pump on the back and fitted a T pice to the bottom of the dip stick as an oil return, I think I took a T pice of the oil pressure gauge s the supply. Right lash up with the engine married to Series thre egear box which had a Series 2a front end on it. Again no one told me I couldn't so I fiddled bits till the worked.

Edited by Tony B

They were quite a good quality engine ,  re-mounts for Land Rovers often came from BMC angle-cabs (bread vans) that were scrapped at 200,000 + miles , from these sources  - I would say they were as fit as a 2.1/4  pet.  Knocked on the head by the 2.5na Land Rover engine - the BMC drove with more of a tinkle sound.  You may find that in-line inject. pump is a Simms (quality) above the  CAV rotary (Roosa Master) that was also used.   The canal boat anchor joke - that belonged to the versions  cammed & fueled for such as  Coventry Climax etc. etc.   Not quite the name Perkins ,  IIRC built with axles at the Bathgate Works.