Pzkpfw-e

Caunter-camouflaged gem at the YWE

Saw this beauty basking in the sunshine.

DSCN1863.JPG

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

The tires look good as well.   If they are new production it would be interesting to know where they came from.

Edited by REME 245

I’m parked next to it and they’re made by Speciality Tires of America.

Certainly looks very crisp with an interesting choice of camouflage sure to draw a lot of comments. Is it a K30/YK (30-cwt closed cab type) or K2 (2-ton type) K30/YK Bridging Classification is given as 4 while an Austin Tilt (Type not specified?) Bridging Classification is given as 6. K2 Ambulance is also given as 4. The scheme I think used Summer 40 to October 41 often seen on CMP 11&12-Cab vehicles used in the Middle East. October 41. Has the owner any family connection to the colour choice.

I know the source.   Fantastic tires but very expensive by the time you get them over here.

Another superb restoration from Melvin Bean and Mike Humphreys.

It looks too nice.

Wouldn't the original process be to paint the whole truck in stone, and then hand paint the contrast colours over the top by brush?  The neat edges and corners, and almost perfectly straight lines, would surely look strange to someone who painted that scheme originally, by hand.

This vehicle looks a fantastic restoration, a credit to the people involved.

As both hand and spray painting took place does it matter l seen examples of first class looking paint work from both any one can nit pick my self included

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, wally dugan said:

As both hand and spray painting took place does it matter l seen examples of first class looking paint work from both any one can nit pick my self included

Not really Wally and it does look good.  I suppose the point would remain that even if it were to be sprayed it is unlikely they would have masked it off to get sharp edges - not if they had another five hundred trucks to paint.  If I had to go positive, does anyone have any contemporary images of that paint scheme, so we can assess how sharp ( or approximate ) the edges were?  I've not seen very many original images.

Edited by Gordon_M

30 seconds of Googling “Caunter Scheme” will pull up any number of photos showing the hard straight edges used in this scheme. The Austin is a superb recreation of this short lived camouflage, using the correct colours of Portland Stone, Silver grey and Service colour or slate

Incidentally that photo of a CMP truck in Caunter thought to be an original contemporary colour photo is apparently a still from a recent Czech film

There is IWM film, I saw it a few years go, of troops painting these vehicles in Egypt. From memory they were using 2 to 4 inch brushes.