Turbocharged ferret and boosted brakes, purists look away! ITS RUNNING!

Codeblue

Doing a few performance upgrades.

A t3/t4 turbocharger is being fitted to the exhaust manifold. Original exhaust outlet will be used. 
Upgrading the oil filter housing to a modern unit that can have an oil output to lube the turbo and use a standard auto canister filter.
6-8psi of boost should boost  power by about 30%. It will boost at low rpm so it wont have turbo lag and will basically behave more like a 6litre engine instead of a 4l.

I means ill be able to go up reasonable hills at reasonable speed without dropping down gears.

Ill be installing a good heatsheild for the dizzy.

As per a helpful ferreters suggestion, i may upgrade the head bolts and gasket.

I realize there is a risk i might break something but i have spares for everything and its only money and i can always earn more haha

For brakes i have added a vacuum booster where the old air filter used to be, and remade all the lines. It pulls up super quick with only gentle pressure on the pedal, so much nicer to drive! 

Because of the turbo the manifold won't have vacuum so ive added an electric vacuum pump with a pressure switch to maintain a constant vacuum.

20180704_161610.jpg

20180704_161908.jpg

20180630_110044.jpg

20180630_110020.jpg

Edited by Codeblue
  • Like 1

I'm sure the purists will have looked anyway and been scandalised but I think ferrets are common enough to have a few extra 'variants' without being an issue and it can all be returned to original later if required. So good on you for showing what the army missed out on for all those years.

Steve.

• Like 1

Uprated brakes, so much safer to drive. Especially with the Mobile Muppets you get now a days. Head in mobile brain in neuteral. Wise move.

What's with the vacum pump? Would be a very useful gadget on my Katy's wipers. 

Edited by Tony B

Whoa! (That's North American for holy crap!).

We need some video of this modification in action and some performance updates ...

And I thought that I was pushing the boundaries with electronic ignition and fuel pump.

Darcy

I think that my Ferret has pretty much enough power (although it can be a bit of a slug up steep hills) and the power brakes would be nice, but I always thought that the Saracen would benefit most from a smallish turbo - I've been in situations where that thing is going flat out in third gear up a hill, at 15 MPH! It sounded awesome, but it was way too slow, a bit of boost would have woken her right up, and being a slow revving, low compression engine, I don't think that an extra 30-50hp would hurt anything, especially if you weren't thrashing it all the time.

Yeah except they blew 2 gearboxs and a few bevel boxes trying to film the toyo commercial. 

Not to mention the engine is exposed on top and they replaced parts with aluminum. 

Im in the process of making my second ferret better than the toyo ferret. 500hp, no gearbox bevels or hu  gears. And an unchanged hull.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:36 AM, Starfire said:

I think that my Ferret has pretty much enough power (although it can be a bit of a slug up steep hills) and the power brakes would be nice, but I always thought that the Saracen would benefit most from a smallish turbo

Hi Terry,

Adapting a B81 would be the best way to increase the power, it would not appear any different under the covers.

5 hours ago, Richard Farrant said:

Hi Terry,

Adapting a B81 would be the best way to increase the power, it would not appear any different under the covers.

Yeah, but it wouldn't be the most fun :) I won't actually modify the Saracen, hanging around at a museum has me wanting to keep all of my vehicles stock for some reason.

14 hours ago, albertamj said:

Are you concerned about sufficient cold air supply to feed the beast?

14 hours ago, Codeblue said:

The radiator fan basically makes the engine compartment a wind-tunnel.

I assume, that you are also confident that the cooling system can cope with the extra heat. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/5/2018 at 6:00 PM, terryb said:

outstanding!

almost every engine we brits put in an AFV was detuned-why?

nice to see someone bucking the trend!

The reason that military engines are detuned is simple, the lower the power output the less stress on the engine components therefore the engine lasts longer.

• Like 1