Norbo

CVRT break downs

Posted (edited)

Thought this could be a good topic . 
What have you broken down from in the past ? How did you fix it ? and did you get stranded ,how did you get it back or did you fix it and carry on . 

Edited by Norbo

Only had 5 breakdowns in 30+ years of cvrt road use;

toothed fan belt broke; slipped spare one which is always kept lockwired in place, on at side of road-1/2 hour and a spanner.

road wheel shed its rubber-middle one so not crucial-other one on axle good, so carried on.

brake pad friction material fell off metal back  plate-fitted new one at side of road

Diesel filter unscrewed itself-screw it back on

lift pump stopped-gave it a clout!

I've only had a few issues in 15 years or so of ownership.

The first Spartan broke down the first time out because the fuel tank was full of water and debris. Got home by rigging up some clean petrol into the carb. A few years later at Beltring in 2007 in the mud we lost steering in one direction, resolved by cleaning the cylinders and bleeding again.

My Sabre broke down at Beltring in 2011 due to a dodgy coil. Worked fine when it had cooled down, but embarrassing when doing a convoy round the site. I replaced the coil with one bought in the stalls.

The diesel Spartan was delivered at the farm and ran perfectly fine when thrashed around the fields etc. When I drove it home it died in about the same spot as the petrol Spartan, water and debris in the fuel tank. Got it home and on the drive with the help of an RB44. It also broke down in Hythe on a road run when the nut holding the ball joint for the throttle cable on came loose and bounced around the engine bay. We towed it back to the camp site with the Striker.

Scimitar drove into its first show in a smoke screen, resolved by backing off the handbrake bands a bit. 

I've also been called out to rescue a Striker when the final drive locked up on a roundabout. We removed the track on that side and towed it home. 

Loss of rubber on the wheels is also a common problem, I always take a spare anywhere we go, along with a recovery A frame.

Had an engine expire due to low oil pressure, but on that occasion we took the precaution of having it followed with a recovery truck due to it being a first proper road run. Then discovered the low oil warning lamp had been removed from the vehicle dash...

Also had a coolant hose split, fortunately not far from a show site. Cooled down, repaired filled and bled up the system. Also had brake pad, handbrake, brake cylinder, coil and road wheel issues but on show sites. Also had an HT lead ceramic end crack. 

Had an engine put a leg out of bed at speed, that was exciting. Late night recovery with a tractor and A bars. Still sitting in the shed awaiting a transplant all these years later. Not my wagon so not my stress.