Jeep ignition timing

skapunkninja

Good afternoon gents.

I've just fit a new distributor onto a gpw engine. Does this look in the right position? The points are just starting to open, and would put no.1 plug lead between about 5 and 6oclock

I've checked Google, but there seems to be a lot of conflicting info as to which way the rotor should be pointing for cylinder 1...

IMG_20180628_155912.jpg

IMG_20180628_155943.jpg

Thanks, I'll turn it round so that the oiler is at the top.

Im just confused as to the position of the rotor arm. Cylinder 1 is at tdc, both valves on 1 are shut, timing mark lines up, and both marks on the timing chain line up, so shouldn't the rotor be pointing to 5oclock, not 7?

• 1 month later...

The oiler should be set at 13.00 ( 1 oclock) or there abouts, the timing mark on fly wheel should be on TC not ign, the rotor should be just shy of 18.00 (6 oclock) make sure you have the oil pump and distributor shaft slotted into each other the right way round. 

Err! The ignition timing should be set on No 1 cylinder with the flywheel mark IGN in the center of the hole and points just braking...... In the days of very poor 68 octane fuel you are advised to retard the ignition to the TC (Top Center) mark. Which doesn't apply these days.  Ron

Good point thanks, I like to set it as original then retard by turning distributor,  works out the same in the end no doubt, good to banter about different ideas as sometimes the old ways are not the best these days as you suggest, regards gor J. 

Yes it is good to discuss these things. I've had my Jeep and my original 'Ford' manual for well over 30 years now. I guess there must surely be repro manuals out there, But for those who haven't got one, here are the relevant pages from mine.

If you set the timing at TDC you would then have to ADVANCE it by turning the dizzy.👍  Ron

Scan_20180817 (3).jpg

Scan_20180817 (4).jpg