Goodbye Piggy :(

fv1609

Thank you Richard. It was a hard decision to make acknowledging that the march of time makes one progressively less agile.

I hope it goes to someone who realises its history & I believe uniqueness. Next year will be the anniversary of the Battle of the Bogside & it would a good back drop to a living history display.

I think it may well be the oldest Pig, I know of two ex-RUC Pigs that are later serial numbers. Although they have been stripped of their excess armour strangely they have been restored to try to look like an Army Mk1, which they never were. :roll:

A sad day.

It only seems like a few years ago you kindly took the time out of your weekend to show me how to service a Pig. That must be around 2002 now I think about it - wow! You also manager to talk an over enthusiastic younger me out of purchasing the very same Pig, as I wanted to weld all the armour back on to remake the MK2 look. 

I'm still hooked on Pigs and I shall one day, when I have the suitable space, have another. 

My Pig somehow lives on through my Land Rover 110, I guess as the money from the Pig went into that. The 110 has been off the road now for over a year, but is nearly rebuilt and ready to provide more service. I guess what I am trying to say is the longer you have a vehicle the harder it is to part with it. 

Paul

8 minutes ago, paul connor said:

I guess what I am trying to say is the longer you have a vehicle the harder it is to part with it.

True of any relationship Paul!

Yes I remember talking you out of buying it, but at least you were up front enough to tell me what you intended.

Before I bought my other Pig from Bovington, I was going to buy the Pig you bought. But I told the seller that I (stupidly) intended to remove the NI bits & put it as a normal MK1. Quite rightly he refused to sell it to me & mercifully it survives today with its NI embellishments.

7 hours ago, gritineye said:

the upside is all that blimmin' tapping on the side is behind you now.....

Not really Bernard, I had a weekend of that in the Shorland, with "its not real", "its homemade" & "does it float?"

Didn't get too much of that with the Pig, although many thought it was a converted Land Rover.

I have had a fair share of that with a Pig in the past also. 

".. of course, it's based on a Land Rover chassis"

"That's a Saracen, I drove those in Northern Ireland"

"No, Sir, it isn't, it's a Humber Pig"  I  replied

"What do you know?!" I was aggressively told! So I just moved away.

I even had one with my neighbour recently, who is a know-it-all!

"Of course it's only 2 wheel drive" He states while tapping the wings of my vehicle and doors.

"No, it has three axles and they all have drive, hence the driveshafts" I reply about my GMC 353

"I'm a mechanical engineer, I used to drive these"

"Kindly do not touch my vehicle and please go away" That seemed to end the situation. I don't mind being a captive audience at a show, but loading my truck at my home I could do without being told what something is when I clearly own it. 

I guess any vehicle brings the silly comments. Even my Land Rover gets called a Jeep more times that Land Rover!

I sold quite a lot before I moved but this is the final residue!

I think the spares included with the vehicle itself are quite generous & the additional spares with many rare bits are worth more than I am asking.

I know what happens, so often the buyer will haggle furiously to have all spares included, then the spares get sold off. This is short sighted if you intend to keep the vehicle long term, but often the vehicle is sold on without any spares for the same price or more than was originally paid.

I will bide my time there is no great hurry it is not costing anything sat where it is undercover & in the dry.

On 6/26/2018 at 8:09 AM, paul connor said:

I have had a fair share of that with a Pig in the past also. 

".. of course, it's based on a Land Rover chassis"

"That's a Saracen, I drove those in Northern Ireland"

"No, Sir, it isn't, it's a Humber Pig"  I  replied

"What do you know?!" I was aggressively told! So I just moved away.

I even had one with my neighbour recently, who is a know-it-all!

"Of course it's only 2 wheel drive" He states while tapping the wings of my vehicle and doors.

"No, it has three axles and they all have drive, hence the driveshafts" I reply about my GMC 353

"I'm a mechanical engineer, I used to drive these"

"Kindly do not touch my vehicle and please go away" That seemed to end the situation. I don't mind being a captive audience at a show, but loading my truck at my home I could do without being told what something is when I clearly own it. 

I guess any vehicle brings the silly comments. Even my Land Rover gets called a Jeep more times that Land Rover!

Can't beat the German who hauled back and punched the side of the OT90 at W&P one year.  His daughter later told us he was looking for the thin sheet steel plate that  German law requires the armour to be cut out and welded in to allow them to shoot the driver.....   

On 6/26/2018 at 9:10 AM, paul connor said:

Oh yes, I forgot about that part, after 70yrs they remove your minibus D1 entitlement and C1 >7.5 tonnes categories I believe? 

Not strictly true, it can be maintained provided your doctor and optician pass you fit to drive, though another piece of legislative nonsense is the  ability to hold a B licence and pass a H test then drive a tracked vehicle of any weight, provided you maintain your B licence.

Diana

13 minutes ago, Diana and Jackie said:

Not strictly true, it can be maintained provided your doctor and optician pass you fit to drive, though another piece of legislative nonsense is the  ability to hold a B licence and pass a H test then drive a tracked vehicle of any weight, provided you maintain your B licence.

Diana

Correct I have just been through the mill regarding keeping my minibus and other entitlements H-licence ect now I have reached seventy. It only took 3-1/2 months and eleven phone calls to DVLA so I may continue driving minibuses on  a voluntary basis for the benefit of others at my local authority. it also means I can enjoy driving friends QL and OY or the International or Fordson sadly I don't have my 432 anymore but if I had I'd enjoy taking it shopping at Tesco as I did in the past

10 minutes ago, Baz48 said:

Correct I have just been through the mill regarding keeping my minibus and other entitlements H-licence ect now I have reached seventy. It only took 3-1/2 months and eleven phone calls to DVLA so I may continue driving minibuses on  a voluntary basis for the benefit of others at my local authority. it also means I can enjoy driving friends QL and OY or the International or Fordson sadly I don't have my 432 anymore but if I had I'd enjoy taking it shopping at Tesco as I did in the past

In  my observation the ability to drive has nothing to do with age and a lot to do with common sense and a perception of danger, which in my experience is declining.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Diana and Jackie said:

In  my observation the ability to drive has nothing to do with age and a lot to do with common sense and a perception of danger, which in my experience is declining.

I do sometimes wonder if riding a bike should be made part of passing a driving test...it would help people understand how vulnerable other road users are. Driving an old vehicle not only makes you plan ahead in traffic and for road conditions, but makes you so much more aware of what is going on. The safer you make vehicles, the more stupid people seem to become!

13 hours ago, Diana and Jackie said:

Diana

Ah yes - the subject of many interesting talks between myself and DVLA's "suits" back when they yanked my HGV's due to the onset of epilepsy - usually ran along the lines of:
"We can't let something like you loose on the road with a 7 tonne vehicle, let alone a 40 tonne artic".
"Why not - you've given me a driving license?"
"You might have a fit an a car will just bounce off whereas a goods vehicle will do serious damage"
"Fair enough - you do realize I still have my "H" license though?"
"So what - you can't do much with that"
"Welllll - it lets me drive a Main Battle Tank on the roads which not only weighs around half as much again at least as the 40 tonne artic but in the circumstances you describe will do a LOT more damage.   Have a nice day!"

Before anyone jumps on me - I do appreciate why the HGV's and PSV were taken & support the logic fully - but I also get VERY narky when chinless wonders start refering to me as a "something" and not a "someone"!!