Danny P

Bedford mw camouflage pattern

A friend told me that (late) bedford MW's, and maybe all (late) war time british vehicles, didn't leave the UK during WWII with a mickey mouse camouflage pattern and never had this camouflage pattern. Only vehicles which stayed in the UK during WWII had a Mickey mouse camouflage pattern. What is true about this since I was planning to apply a Mickey mouse camouflage pattern on my bedford MW assuming this is correct for the European theatre during WWII.

Thanks,

Danny

Posted (edited)

IF a vehicle had been painted in mickey mouse and was still in good order it would remain so l have seen a picture of vehicles await embarkation for D-DAY and some were wearing mickey mouse camouflage

Edited by wally dugan

Some body will no doubt quote the relevant regulation soon but you can probably say by the time of D Day routine application of disruptive painting had ceased.  As Wally states if a vehicle was still servicable what it was painted in made no difference.   Indeed by early 1944 the majority of British manufactured vehicles would have still been in brown but thats another subject.

I'd agree with above.  Here are some examples:

(IWM Photo B5012 - see the 3-tonners far right)

B5012.thumb.jpg.d944f04b5627cf4f34fbfa166ffb7ad9.jpg

(IWM Photo B5929)

B5929.jpg.ff2e05e3dd41f961ea495db2b2c2a24b.jpg

(IWM photo B5937)

B5937.thumb.jpg.2218f9f8031d7e8fdb96635a2a3e5185.jpg

Mickey Mouse was never a formal pattern, just one variation of the foliage scheme shown in Military Training Pamphlet MTP46/4A, details of which can be found on the web. Disruptive painting was discouraged from August 1944 anyway.

Some of my Dad's signals unit with the K5 Portee to GS conversion that they finished the war in Germany with. It looks as if only the tilt on this one had disruptive.

Austin K5 Portee GS.jpg

Thank you all!

Nice pictures indeed! Sufficient evidence to apply a Mickey mouse camouflage pattern on my Bedford MW. Everyone will agree that more pictures are welcome to enjoy!

Any chance to discuss about which pattern on a Bedford MWD? Maybe like the pattern on the MWR below? Similar pattern on the MWD below?

Thanks,

Danny

544333627_WDPHOTO4.jpg.11fc3b9fe92dbd3e4c1b62d207fb80e9.jpg1492650286_WDPHOTO6.jpg.e26287ff600df84fa6c631ba4febebb0.jpgbedford.jpg.ac55619510b7a364e6008b622c0cf2bb.jpg

The pattern shown is called the  DAPPLE or to  most mickey mouse due to the shapes looking like the ear of said mouse

The similarities between the Mickey Mouse patterning on the MWD and the MWR suggests that there was actually a set way of applying the disruptive patterning within the factory. 

Wally, according to some experts Mickey Mouse is actually a stylised combination of the dapple and foliage schemes