Fowler Traction Engines WW1

woa2

I have been Volunteering at MERL in Reading, processing the records for Fowler Traction Engines. One detail that cropped up today was a Traction Engine supplied to the Ministry of Munitions during WW1. It was requested 21st Aug 1916 and issued 9th March 1918. What was interesting was the colour scheme - Black, picked out in Amber and lined in Red and Yellow. It had WD painted on the tank back and each motion cover. I have noticed other Fowler traction engines supplied to the Army and they are All painted Black, mostly with Red lining. Not one was painted Khaki. 

• Like 1

I only have access to the record books I am processing, but if you have an engine number, write in to MERL (Museum of English Rural Life) in Reading and they can search the drawings. I know they have some drawings but I have not seen any.

I will get you contact details for MERL as soon as I can, but might be a few days.

Edited by woa2
More details

14 hours ago, Tony B said:

There is also mention of Steam Tractors used in the 1899/1902, South African Boer ar as prime movers for supplies, were these Fowler Engines?

45 Squadron Royal Engineers was formed for exactly this. They became known as the Steam Sappers, using a mixture of engines from various manufacturers including Fowler. 

If you bung "Steam Sappers" into your search engine you'll find loads of info and pics

On 6/20/2018 at 8:35 PM, woa2 said:

I have been Volunteering at MERL in Reading, processing the records for Fowler Traction Engines. One detail that cropped up today was a Traction Engine supplied to the Ministry of Munitions during WW1. It was requested 21st Aug 1916 and issued 9th March 1918. What was interesting was the colour scheme - Black, picked out in Amber and lined in Red and Yellow. It had WD painted on the tank back and each motion cover. I have noticed other Fowler traction engines supplied to the Army and they are All painted Black, mostly with Red lining. Not one was painted Khaki. 

Black, picked out in Amber and lined in Red and Yellow is standard Fowler livery of the period

To be fair you can see in some photos of WD Fowlers that this is the livery that they left the makers in. As this

fowler-russian-1.jpg

These are a batch supplied to the Ministry of Munitions. Class TE2 Haulage and Winding engines. Essentially a heavy artillery tractor. I suspect your currently looking at the info for one of the same or later batches.

For info, a large order of identical and similar engines was supplied via Vickers to the Tsarist Russians during the Great War and I can share some photos of these in use if it is of interest. To this day the surviving ex MoM engines are termed ''Russian Fowlers''.

You will find the Russian order specification notes a Khaki green finish (to match a sample of cloth sent in). 1 coat of grey, 1 coat of Khaki.

Edited by 8_10 Brass Cleaner
  • Like 1

On 6/21/2018 at 9:59 PM, Tony B said:

There is also mention of Steam Tractors used in the 1899/1902, South African Boer ar as prime movers for supplies, were these Fowler Engines?

There is someone on this forum (I won't mention his name) who owns an ex Boer war 1899 Fowler, he is a regular poster on here and I know that he has photos of the Fowler in use in South Africa, maybe he will see this thread and post the photos.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:59 PM, Tony B said:

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:15 PM, johnwardle said:

There is someone on this forum (I won't mention his name) who owns an ex Boer war 1899 Fowler, he is a regular poster on here and I know that he has photos of the Fowler in use in South Africa, maybe he will see this thread and post the photos.

I have found records of Fowler supplying steam engines 1890/1900 to the War Office.