Brains Trust help required.

Tony B

Help! This one is actually on a coach engine, but it has us all head banging, so any suggestions gratfully recived. Symptoms Last night coach overheated, no loss of power and got back to yard. Today, check of engine oil dipstick showed it over full, cooling system full of yellow fudge and coolant black.  Drain and flush cooling system till water  came out clean Check dipstick showing over full . Sump capacity 35 litres. Take out sump plug, about ten litres at most comes out. Dipstick still showing over half full? At one stage the engine was run over, nothing out the sump, engine running fine. So what the flying blue blazes is going on?

That was the first thought for the symptoms, but what is really puzzling thing  is where has all the oil gone? If it had got into the cylinders surley the engine wouldn't turn over because of compression. There's about 20 odd litres of it still unacounted for but the dip stick says it is still in there. 🤥

Edited by Tony B

Next task will be drop sump and see what's up there. Fortunatley I don't have the manual part. It's just such a weird occurence, there is no blockage in the dip stick hole, fed a wire down to check that, sump plug is out but still a lot on the stick. There are five oil filters in the system, but doubt they couuld hold so much oil.

Yes Richard it does! And it has been changed recently. I'md love to know why the dipstiuck is still reading whilst the sump is empty. It's a Seatara coch if that's any help. Not a vehicle that has anything to do with me, fortuantley, just we share a yard and I know the guys.

Edited by Tony B

If they get to the point of dropping the sump, it will be interesting to see what they find.  Dealing with antique engines the only thing similar was engines that had a sump full of sludge, remove the drain plug nothing comes out.

Not to be really snarky but are they sure the dip stick they are checking is from the same sump as the drain plug?  Like maybe transmission dipstick an engine sump?

Cheers Phil 

Edited by CMP-Phil

2 hours ago, Tony B said:

Yes Richard it does! And it has been changed recently. I'md love to know why the dipstiuck is still reading whilst the sump is empty. It's a Seatara coch if that's any help. Not a vehicle that has anything to do with me, fortuantley, just we share a yard and I know the guys.

Tony,

I think you mean a Setra coach? These normally have  Mercedes engines. The workshop unit next to mine belongs to a coach company who run Setra coaches. I don't think they are dry sump, but will ask the mechanic when I see him.