Unusual cab?

john_g_kearney

These wrecks are British Army lorries (perhaps operated by British colonial troops) used in Ethiopia in circa 1941. I think they are Canadian-built Chevrolet CC60L. Are the timber cabs a common conversion in East Africa please? If not, it is odd that there are two identical next to each other.

John.

Fike wrecks.jpg

Nothing like a C60 from this angle.

There were a whole bunch of Dodge, Chev, Ford, and other trucks supplied as "chassis and windscreen cowl" for local assembly and bodywork in far-flung places, and the closer one looks something like that.  Note that they are not identical.  The one closest to the camera started as "chassis and windscreen cowl" whereas the far one was just "chassis / cowl" and the screen has been made locally.  Obviously both were processed the same given the side wood, but they started differently.

I don't recognise the firewall so probably not Dodge, could well be Canadian Chev or Ford, but not a CMP variant like the C60, could be British too, of course.

Anyone recognise the firewall style?

I think they are CC60L, not CMP C60L.

My impression is that they were both supplied with cabs, which have been cut off. The near lorry has retained its windscreen, but the far one has not.

I have just noticed a detail - the near one has its L census number stencilled on the wood below the door aperture.

John.

Fike wrecks detail.jpg