good evening everyone i am trying to find out who owns the 50 ton dyson trailer that is at Binnegar quarry near Weymouth. would like to save it and put behind my Diamond T.

have got quarries permission to remove and the land owner would like to have trailer owners permission first if we can locate and contact the trailers owner.

if any one can help with contact details for the owner of this trailer please feel free to comment below, PM, or call me on 07533067157

i don't want to take it away with out trying to contact the owner as i genuinely want to return it to road worthy condition and show it.

many thanks Sam Goddard 

dyson 50 ton.jpg

To show that an effort has been made to find the owner, ask the quarry and/or the land owner to write a notice giving the trailer owner chance to collect the vehicle by (insert date*) before it is dispose of. Affix one copy to the trailer and one on the nearest road access to the field. Proof of this should be kept in case the owner does ever return for the trailer.

* According to this site only 7 day's notice is required:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/abandoned-vehicles-council-responsibilities

• Like 2

trailer has been there for a good number of years, tyres are flat and there are no number plates so i guess it classes as abandoned? 

will talk to the quarry and the land owners and see if they are happy to go this way. 

thank you for the info MatchFuzee would like to find the owner and do it the right way but we are all assuming the owner is even around any more. 

• Like 1

I think it would be a good idear to go ahead and move it  before some one decides that it would be a good way of making a few quid as the price of scrap is up. Some one may come along and clam it who's not the real owner and before you know it it's cut up and gone. Good luck

I restored one for behind my Antar back in the early 90's. You have 18 tons to pull out of there. very likely the tyres will inflate in situ, don't try to move without trying to inflate them or it will rip all the valves out of the tubes. Hopefully the brakes were left wound off that will be a big plus. It looks in pretty good condition

• Like 1

thank you John

i have the quarry on side to help move it some were to be collected but still no luck finding the trailers owner. 

also a friend has spoken with the land owner but they say it is to do with the quarry and the quarry say it is to do with the land owner so at the moment neither want to be involved. 

not sure what else can be done on my side regarding the Dyson as attempts to find and contact the owner have failed. 

regards sam

I think you have done more than most people would have done and reading the government website I think you are more than justified in taking it, but I would keep trying to find out who the owner was and if he decided to clam it he would still have cover any cost you incurred.

JUST a word of caution while you may think that you have done every thing to find the owner . The landowner and the quarry company may be glad to see the thing  go they are not the owners if you remove it and the rightful  owner turns up rather than him  paying you he may claim damages for the lost of his property. Before any one says rubbish this is what l am doing at the  moment over a vehicle

this is the thing and i know you are correct in what you are saying Wally, seems the trailer was left there long enough ago no one at the quarry recalls how it ended up there. really hoping some one on this forum reads this and can put me in touch with the owner or family. 

If, the Ministry plate which is usually riveted to the chassis frame on the nearside, is still on the trailer, it maybe possible to trace through the DVSA the owner at the time the trailer was last tested. Assuming that the DVSA can help you, it would be a starting point to find the current owner.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The best way for this is a notice at the entrance, and a small ad in the local press. Then in case of argument you show you have taken 'All Resonable Steps' to establish an owner. an alternate though one I have never tried, report it to the council as Fly tipped. Done this with a couple of dumped caravans. 

As touched on earlier in this thread, you need to make anyone claiming that it is their long lost trailer provide evidence that it actually is their property. Otherwise what is to stop the local scrap man claiming it when they see the notices ?

David

OK, the other way is report it to the Police as 'Lost property' wait three months not claimed you keep. To establsh any legal claim to Good Title  you have to prove you took reasonable steps to find the owner. You don't know the history it may have been stolen years back. Wether you like it or not, why not just talk to a solicitor? 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

no trailer is still sat there i couldn't trace an owner so land owner and the quarry didn't want to really get involved as far as doing a deal on it. got myself another trailer project know so i don't know what the future holds for this 50 tonner 

So far as the land owner and quarry operator are concerned, the notional storage charges would far exceed the value of the trailer which is scrap, ie about £2K.  Do a deal with the land owner / quarry op, IN WRITING, accepting that they are unable to pass on good title but they want this piece of scrap moved and include the storage charges, say notionally £6K (the more the better but they will have to accept no one will actually pay more than scrap value). So far as the courts are concerned, it is only scrap.  Once you have secured a deal in writing and have moved it away to your premises, then put a decent sized advert in the "Commercial Motor" magazine.  "Lost 50 ton Dyson Trailer found" or words to the effect.  If someone does come out of the wood work, they will have to pay the storage and transport charges which will be far more than the scrap value of the trailer so you would not loose out  (and they will be deterred).  In any case, to secure it, they would need to have evidence of good title and given the passage of time, no one else is likely to be a position to show better title than you.  If not, you have done everything possible to locate the legal owner, if one exists.  Remember, it may have been owned by a limited company that is now defunct.

We might get very excited about a 50 ton Dyson trailer but in fact it is just 18 tons of scrap.  If you want to waste a lot of money, use a solicitor, especially a high street one.

In terms of restoration, my recollection is that it has plain air brakes, that is no hydraulics which would be a nightmare to overhaul. 

Final thought, is a service VRN on it?  If so someone might be able to say when it was auctioned off.

John

• 3 years later...

I am very late to this party but some legal clarification might be helpful for anyone finding themselves in a similar situation.

The Torts (Interference with goods) Act 1977 together with a slack handful of consumer/sale of goods acts are the guides.

Long story short 

Title remains with the original owner unless the quarry owners have undertaken a rigorous process outlined in sections 12 and 13 of the Torts Act. In plain language they need to be able to show that every step was taken to identify the owner. Throughout this they retain the status of "involuntary bailee" with a legal duty to ensure noting untoward happens to what is, effectively  someone's property

Only if that fails can the goods be sold.

Storage is a similar issue, and cannot be "charged" retrospectively, only if proper notice has been served right at the outset (said act) So any discussion about what something might have cost to store is meaningless in a court.

A useful read...

https://www.claims.co.uk/knowledge-base/sales-law/wrongful-interference-with-goods

• Like 2