Fuel problems

Hi everyone.

we have an M1A1 Ward Lafrance 8.2 petrol. I've removed the mechanical fuel pump and fitted a 4psi electric Facet fuel pump. The fuel from the twin tanks come up to the T piece change over switch. Then onto the Facet fuel pump and that blows into a tractor glass bowl and then onto the carb. The reason for the glass bowl is that we us the fuel from scrap cars (breakers yard) I do have probs with rust in the tanks and water. I have flushed the tanks lots and it's now the best I can see.  The problem I'm having and it's a problem I've had for a long time even before fitting the glass inspection bowl is that she starts ok, runs well on a drive but when back at the yard on idle she stalls and won't re start. Yesterday I Blew air back to the tanks to clean the pipes and then pressurise the tank while starting to get the fuel to come threw before she would start. Then she sat on tick over for ages. I no for sure if I take her for a run she will stall when I get back. I have been told of possible fuel evaporation so I've wrapped all the pipes. Today I looked up and I can get a 7 to 10 psi Facet pump. Do you think my 4psi pump is struggling on idle ?  Or is there any other things I can try.

thanks, Pete.

It's possible that the pump flow is insufficient to keep up with the engine. We installed an electric pump on our M55 truck with a 9(ish) litre petrol engine (suffered evaporation and required priming if left for over a week) and it cured the fuel evaporation issues but wouldn't keep up with the fuelling requirements on the move. We switched back to the manual pump and she ran fine again. 

I hope to get our mechanical fuel pump re-furbed and put back on as I like to keep her how she should be. Today I found that the braided fuel line my boss got off eBay is so thin it is cracking. I have changed it today and we are off to wicksteed ar war for the weekend so I'll see how she goes.

• 4 weeks later...

2 thoughts, you could be sucking air because of a bad fitting or cracked line. Also, check your coil  and condenser. Both after mentioned items can be affected by heat if they are old.

John G

Hi  

You mentioned dual tanks, one source of problem is the fuel selector valve leaking air.  Seems to be more of a problem as you get near the bottom of the tank as the pump is suckling harder.   Diagnostic trick I used was putting a section of clear tubing in the line so the air bubbles could be seen.

My experience came from similar problems on CMP 3 ton with dual tanks, and after much searching found the source of the air leak around the stem of the selector valve.  

Cheers Phil