mammoth

1911 Dennis Fire Engine 3035

That doesn't look like a cast top tank, apart from the bolt-on flanges. 

Is it brass or aluminium? 

Andy, I think it looks like a soldered up brass header tank but built as a replica of a cast aluminium top tank. Very unusual and unique!

Barry.

It is indeed pressed brass and looking like soldered  joins, though as we dig deeper I am taking nothing for granted.

With regard to finding the correct motor I have just received an exciting (doesn't take much) email with these pics from a Dennis correspondent in South Australia. No explanation so he knows how to tease!

IMG_3013.JPG

IMG_3010.JPG

Mammoth ,

Stick with the Mercedes engine, it will be far easier for you.........and let me have this Dennis engine!🤗🤗🤗

What a find! I wonder whether it is just a teaser or whether it could change hands?

Best wishes,

Barry.

1 hour ago, mammoth said:

It is indeed pressed brass and looking like soldered  joins, though as we dig deeper I am taking nothing for granted.

There are some photos here of me bodging together our brass radiator (A neater job has been performed since, I feel the urge to add). 

https://union.ic.ac.uk/rcc/rcsmotor/gallery/index.php/2010s/2014-15/Fresher-s-Week-inc-Radiator-Rebuild/20141008_183443

I was hoping that there would be pictures of the back of the top tank, but there do not seem to be any good ones. However working from memory I would say that your existing top-tank has all the normal fittings, and might well be a modified original brass radiator top tank mated to a later core and side members. 

29 minutes ago, Asciidv said:

Mammoth ,

Stick with the Mercedes engine, it will be far easier for you.........and let me have this Dennis engine!🤗🤗🤗

Is that a Dennis / White and Poppe engine? 

It does suffer from the common crank-too-high problem mentioned by Ben, but does look to be fairly narrow. 

Been used for the 1920's version of drag racing judging by the exhausts 😄.

David

• Haha 1

I have really enjoyed the extra photos. The radiator header tank is a work of art, there may be some of the original recycled fittings but I suspect all the sheet brass is replacement as the original would not have had the radii on the front.

The engine would look great in this chassis but unfortunately is not one manufactured by White and Poppe. I tried to purchase this one but the owner would not pass it on; hopefully you will have more luck. It appears narrow enough to fit between the rails; I think it would also require some minor modifications as the rotation is incorrect giving four reverse gears!

Andy, looking at the radiator resto photos reminded me that I need to restore my wings back to the original 'flare angle' as they are bent and look quite manic at the moment. Can you put one of those electronic angle blocks on top of the wings and across the chassis.

1 hour ago, mammoth said:

Andy, looking at the radiator resto photos reminded me that I need to restore my wings back to the original 'flare angle' as they are bent and look quite manic at the moment. Can you put one of those electronic angle blocks on top of the wings and across the chassis.

I don't have one of those angle blocks (how embarassing) but might be able to sort something out at the weekend. 

Looking on Google, LP83989 seems to have a few degrees of flare:

https://goo.gl/images/fRX49c

But FA1075 (One of Asciidv's ) seems to have completely flat wings:

https://goo.gl/images/1oKCos

Barry can probably do a statistical analysis, he has an infinite number of N-types (for statistical purposes)

Andy,

If you have an iPhone use it to give you the angles.

They are as good as a decent spirit level.

I just measured the angle of dangle of the wings on LP8389 and the answer is 18 degrees.

Steven, if you're looking for inspiration for the rebuild check out Ep6

of Ultimate Restorations where they restore a 1927 Ahrens Fox fire engine. It's on PBS America

www.ultimaterestorations.com/the-ahrens-fox/

Shaun