Lwt Fuel Pipe in the Fuel Tank

LarryH57

Can anyone with a Land Rover Lwt confirm if there is supposed to be a gauze end on the bottom of the vertical fuel pipe inside the under seat tanks when they were built?

Mine has nothing on the end and yet I have seen a very old unusable pipe that had gauze fitted, and I'm wondering if its a mod?

Luckily I have a fuel pump glass bowl filter and one just before the carb but the more the better.

I have a part number for the pipe, NTC2159 but I cannot seem to find one with a gauze end on the usual suppliers web pages offering replacement parts.

Edited by LarryH57

I am afraid that I do not know the correct answer for this , but personally I wouldn't want a filter on the bottom of the stack pipe, in the past I have had problems here with bits sticking to them that wouldn't go up the pipe anyway .

I don't know about Lightweights but Series One Landrovers had gauze on the end of the pipe. Soldered to the pipe a couple of inches from the bottom and roughly conical so as to present a reasonable surface area. I've never had an issue with it clogging and on a Series One the fuel and everything else goes straight into the tank through the big hole in the top.

Certainly they used to be fitted from new with gauze soldered to the pipe, but, the gauze is very frail and degrades over time, so it is quite usual to find it missing nowadays - but there is usually a trace of solder left in a ring about 2" up from the bottom of the pipe.  I see current Land Rover fuel lift pipes are fitted with the same style of plastic filter as you buy for paint spray guns.  But, while you could fit those, they have a solid base unlike the gauze ones and, unless you were confident that they weren't either going to be sucked upwards so blocking the pipe with the solid base, or at risk of touching the bottom of the tank and then being pushed up to close the pipe, I would be nervous about fitting them. Here's an example from eBay:

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fg%2FlD4AAOSwh1hZ7HZm%2Fs-l300.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fitm%2FAnest-Iwata-2Spray-Paint-Spray-Gun-Nylon-Suction-Pot-Filter-4-Pack-220-Micron-Si-%2F282661198777&docid=GgAUCnmoBGVyxM&tbnid=wb5x9eFouxfrNM%3A&vet=12ahUKEwjiw9yL8q_bAhUsCMAKHfoFCOw4ZBAzKAswC3oECAEQDA..i&w=300&h=251&itg=1&bih=615&biw=1280&q=paint spray filters&ved=2ahUKEwjiw9yL8q_bAhUsCMAKHfoFCOw4ZBAzKAswC3oECAEQDA&iact=mrc&uact=8

10 68