Baaaaa humbug

Hello all. 

Now I'm not sure how you lot will feel about this but here goes. 

We have on old D series wrecker needing love. She used to drag coaches up and down the 31. So it's a civvie truck. What makes you think I belong here? Well, she is to be sat on mj axles with a CARA 16 crane from a Chieften ARVE. 

It won't be a short build as my health isn't top notch. But I'll update you as we go if you lot wish. 

He has names Eric, after my grandfather.

IMG_20180513_113053.jpg

She is having a Perkins 540 heart and I am having a right mare trying to find out what Allison boxes will fit and be happy. Far to many codes for me to deal with. I know an mt643 will fit but the only ones I've found are from aircraft tugs and I don't know if they are geared down or not. And I've found a 545 on an old Bedford. But I don't know if they share the same stud pattern. They both went on so many different things. 

The engine I have purchased but not yet collected. 

Screenshot_20180508-165404.png

A Perkins 504 is quite a revy lump I drove a Dodge Commando with a one in, it had a 5 speed O/drive box and an Eaton 2 speed axle. It was noisy but went well. I would think it would be the diff ratios that were changed rather that the box. You do not have to be Military to be here just interested. Ford D series had tin worm installed in the factory much like S Type Bedfords.

Edited by john1950
correction

33 minutes ago, john1950 said:

A Perkins 504 is quite a revy lump I drove a Dodge Commander with a one in, it had a 5 speed O/drive box and an Eaton 2 speed axle. It was noisy but went well. I would think it would be the diff ratios that were changed rather that the box. You do not have to be Military to be here just interested. Ford D series had tin worm installed in the factory much like S Type Bedfords.

I had many happy hours in various D-series