Wanted: Rolls Royce super charger

i dont know naff all about this set up but from memory that looks a a lot like the Rootes blower fitted to commer ts3  Quick Goggle confirmed Rootes still exist so may be worth a call. like a lot of things MOD it will have been an of of the shelf item adapted to fit

• Like 1

good day radiomike7 I would like to uprate the c6 nfl in my diamond t 980 if possible. I didn't know compression ratio is different thought it was just fit supercharger and alter fueling. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated. Regards sam

NFL 16:1, SFL/TFL 14:1

Cam is the same but runs 5 thou extra clearance on the exhaust valves.  The inlet manifold looks like it may be the same piece but mounted upside down and with a different elbow.  The injector nozzles are different.

C6SFL was also used for the Vickers Vigor but for some reason was only rated at 190bhp for the mk2 and 210bhp for the mk3 whereas the automotive version was circa 250bhp.

If you need more power I suspect it would be easier to find a complete Rolls 305 or similar engine with a centre mounted turbocharger.  As far as originality is concerned it could be claimed that the C6 is non original and fitted as an in service modification when spares for the Hercules became scarce.

Finally are you sure the transmission is up to coping with the extra torque?

• Like 1

quite a lot of differences but is there any reason you couldn't put the super charger straight on to a NFL and adjust the fuel to suit? the gear boxes will be fine as the Wynn's diamond t's ran 220 cummins with no issues and some 980's have rolls royce eagles fitted with no issues and i no of a 320 cummins big cam driving original transmissions with no issues. week link is the single plate clutch i think.

if you don't think it is wise to fit a super charger to a nfl then i will leave it as is, just assumed they were the same engine just with the charger fitted/removed.

6 hours ago, radiomike7 said:

NFL 16:1, SFL/TFL 14:1

Cam is the same but runs 5 thou extra clearance on the exhaust valves.  The inlet manifold looks like it may be the same piece but mounted upside down and with a different elbow.  The injector nozzles are different.

C6SFL was also used for the Vickers Vigor but for some reason was only rated at 190bhp for the mk2 and 210bhp for the mk3 whereas the automotive version was circa 250bhp.

If you need more power I suspect it would be easier to find a complete Rolls 305 or similar engine with a centre mounted turbocharger.  As far as originality is concerned it could be claimed that the C6 is non original and fitted as an in service modification when spares for the Hercules became scarce.

Finally are you sure the transmission is up to coping with the extra torque?

got a minter 305 rolls sat in chassis can be heard driven around running any trial

• Like 1

Sam , there are some wise words from radiomike7 which I have learnt from as well , the old Rolls C6 rumbles a T along just fine , most forget the diffs are 11-1 ratio , which don't really want to spin any faster at 33 mph !   . If more power is for towing a load then remember the weakness is the interactive prop shaft and the half shaft end casing, steady on those hill gearchanges chap.

Need to see some progress photos on your restoration thread please

TTFN John.

• Like 1