Jump to content
Suzie

LR Series 1 4x2

Recommended Posts

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows how many 4x2 wheel drive Series 1 Land Rovers were made?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried asking Land Rover directly they seem to have good records.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have in the past and didn't get very far, however i will happily try once again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I had good success due to trying to get a Ex MoD Land Rover Registered, they had the only document to help get it registered

lradvice@jaguarlandrover.com

 

 

Edited by Surveyor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's brilliant, Who did you contact? as maybe i'm contacting the wrong people or department? Our Land Rover is ex air forces i believe and we have limited information on it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First contact was a call to there office explaining what I needed, then used the email as requested, 

Will be interesting to know how you get on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

As far as l know from the key card records of series one 4x2 land rovers supplied to the army there  where two separate contracts the one for  17 CL  48  to 20 CL 22 the series two   CL ones under contract 6/V/27756 and a larger number series one for both the CL and the station wagon version under contract 6/V/26222  these were registered in the  O1 CE 89 to 08 CE 63

Edited by wally dugan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's great, thank you so much for the information. I will look Into this further 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

According to Geoff Fletcher and James Taylor's "British Military Land Rovers", the Series 1 4x2s were Mk5s.  A single Mk3, 39BP30 was trialled and, thereafter, the Ministry of Supply contract 6/Veh/26222 was placed in Nov 1957 for 655 Mk5 4x2s. All were RHD with canvas tilts.  This was followed, in December 1957 for an order for 20 station wagon variants, making 675 in all.  They were built between Jan and March 1958 with chassis numbers in the range 1118-00962 and 1118 - 01911.  The ERMs were: 01CE89 - 08CE43 for the soft tops and 08CE44 to 08CE63 for the station wagons.  The CL ERMs were Series 2 Land Rovers.

10 68

Edited by 10FM68

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, wally dugan said:

As far as l know from the key card records of series one 4x2 land rovers supplied to the army there  where two separate contracts the one for  17 CL  48  to 20 CL 22 the series two   CL ones under contract 6/V/27756 and a larger number series one for both the CL and the station wagon version under contract 6/V/26222  these were registered in the  O1 CE 89 to 08 CE 63

For a learner like me, how can you tell from t registration numbers how many, if at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, we have some paperwork from the college it came from that now makes some sense 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Surveyor said:

For a learner like me, how can you tell from t registration numbers how many, if at all?

Where the whole contract is in one run, as above, then it is simple: ignore the letters in the middle then subtract the lower number from the higher and add one - so you get 0844-0189=655+1 =656 then 0863-0844=19+1=20.  So, in this case, there is an error of one!  So there were either 676 or one in the sequence wasn't delivered.  You have to add one because, unlike straightforward subtraction both ends are counted - eg if there is a sequence of, say, four 01AB23, 01AB24, 01AB25 and 01AB26 subtracting 23 from 26 would give you just three, but there are four vehicles!  I hope that's clear!

10 68

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Many thanks, I noticed a lot on here registration numbers being used to give an indication of how many made, in contract, as a supplementary question how to you go about finding which contract a vehicle was in?

 

I seem to recall the letters gave an indication which area it was based in originally

Edited by Surveyor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The contract number will be on the vehicle's B Card and also on the vehicle data plate.  Otherwise, the information is out there is specialist books - for Land Rovers, for example, there is the book by Geoff Fletcher and James Taylor, for Lightweights, the one by Mark Cook.  As for the two letters in the registration number, mostly they indicate the financial  year in which the contract was placed (the MoD would order, say, 200 Bedford lorries and, at the same time allocate a set of 200 registrations to the contract.  These would be passed to the manufacturer who would then fit number plates prior to delivery.)  But there are many exceptions - the XA, XB etc" series did indicate location - as they were allocated to vehicles based in Berlin and paid for by the "Berlin budget" with money from the Senaet.  But there are other examples.  A pretty good list is available in Volume 1 of "Warpaint Colours and Markings of British Army Vehicles 1903 - 2003" by Dick Taylor.  He served many years in RTR from trooper to regimental quartermaster and is also a trained historian, so he writes with authority and experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, 10FM68 said:

The contract number will be on the vehicle's B Card and also on the vehicle data plate.  Otherwise, the information is out there is specialist books - for Land Rovers, for example, there is the book by Geoff Fletcher and James Taylor, for Lightweights, the one by Mark Cook.  As for the two letters in the registration number, mostly they indicate the financial  year in which the contract was placed (the MoD would order, say, 200 Bedford lorries and, at the same time allocate a set of 200 registrations to the contract.  These would be passed to the manufacturer who would then fit number plates prior to delivery.)  But there are many exceptions - the XA, XB etc" series did indicate location - as they were allocated to vehicles based in Berlin and paid for by the "Berlin budget" with money from the Senaet.  But there are other examples.  A pretty good list is available in Volume 1 of "Warpaint Colours and Markings of British Army Vehicles 1903 - 2003" by Dick Taylor.  He served many years in RTR from trooper to regimental quartermaster and is also a trained historian, so he writes with authority and experience.

Found the contract number where you said, FOI tomorrow for the B card

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×