Link arm bushes

k2timbo

Can anyone help me with a supplier of rubber bushes.  I had the rear set of link arms between the dampers and axle done a couple of years ago by an engineering firm but I have since realised they over drilled the internal dia and the lugs have worked their way out!  I have started ringing round companies on the net but I'm getting a little disheartened by their general lack of interest, understanding or both.  The sizes are external 1 1/2"x internal 1"x depth 1 3/4".

17 hours ago, k2timbo said:

their general lack of interest, understanding or both.  The sizes are external 1 1/2"x internal 1"x depth 1 3/4".

Is the problem that you are giving them imperial not metric dimensions? Even if the bushes that you are replacing are imperial, have you looked for the (nearest) metric equivalent?

Yes I converted the sizes to the new fangled metric, I initially looked at suspension bushes but most companies only do bonded types so I've been concentrating on plain rubber bush suppliers.  What I can't seen to get an answer on is how oversize does the bush have to be as it strikes me there must be some over/under sizing to give enough resistance when the thing is assembled.  I can get some metric size that are close but require drilling out and shortening.  I'm sure other restorers must have had a similar problem or is it just Austins.  My quote should be "Wish I'd got a Bedford!"

20 hours ago, k2timbo said:

What I can't seen to get an answer on is how oversize does the bush have to be as it strikes me there must be some over/under sizing to give enough resistance when the thing is assembled

Have you looked at poly bushes?

On this site they are an interference fit:-

http://www.polybush.co.uk/pages/why-use-polybush

Polybush's are fitted using normal workshop tools and equipment. Our bushes are designed to fit in the same way as original equipment bushes. Due to our interference fit no grease is needed, leaving customers with a real fit and forget solution. Where necessary, Polybush use low friction material to ensure free movement of the bush with mating components.