WANTED - CVR(W) Fox gearbox

PHB

You’re going to struggle with any Fox parts. Helston Gunsmiths did have kits to convert a CVRT engine to fit Fox. I only know of one gearbox not in a vehicle, and it’s needs a rebuild. You might have to buy a vehicle in need of restoration to obtain one.

When the Fox was in service they were often in workshops waiting for parts for weeks/months, I know as I worked on them from their introduction into service until they were obsolete. There was never the big back up of spares stock as we saw with Ferret and Saracen. Gearboxes were common to have to replace due to a flat spot in carburation, so doubtful too many reconditioned boxes came out in the surplus disposals.

regards, Richard

thank you for the replies guys. Appreciate that these are probably going to be rare if in existence at all.

There were a number of foxes released with no engine / transmission - some time ago - but I'm guessing now that these were removed to replace parts on others perhaps.

Also the turrets on foxes were often swapped for the scorpion turret - so just curious whether this was done as part of the Sabre programme ie a converted scorpion - unlike the Scimiter which I think was a production model.

Peter

Hi Peter,

There were a number of Foxes sold off without engines. They all had gearboxes and most are restored and running again now. 

136 or so Foxes had the turrets removed and used for the Sabre conversion. A couple of Foxes were sold off with Scorpion turrets dropped on top. 

Chris 

• 10 months later...

Peter, I have just seen this. I have a fluid flywheel if needed.  There are a number of differences between the Fox and CVRT engines including the heat exchanger, coil mounting and exhaust manifolds.. I sold a load of spares last year to a Fox owner in London. If you are still stuck I will ask if he would like to part with any.Doug.

Hi Guys

Given that there aren't as many spares knocking around for the Fox as for the Ferret, who does hold stock of Fox parts please?

Also, are there any generous owners out there with parts who are happy to sell?

Many thanks!

I have one I’m breaking , really low milage the army started breaking it .the gearbox is in it still . They break the best newest vehicles they have so as not to spread unreliability throughbthevother vehicles.

Edited by Nick mead
Spelling