FWD gets new shoes

bobs1918

Thanks   Terry   I personally   did  not  start  it  I  had   a  BIG  guy here  and  he  made  it  happen....My  plan  is  to  install  a  gear  ring  on  the  flywheel and  a  starter  motor   . I  won't always  have  a BIG  guy  around.

I  think  you  mentioned that  your  plan  on  the  BIG  Wisconsin was  to  install  a  starter.  I  don't  know  how   you  could  crank  that  monster  over  by  hand.

• 4 weeks later...

Installed  a gear  ring    on  the  flywheel   and  will  next fabricate   a   mount  for  the  starter  motor.  Reading   FWD  history  they  did  offer  a  starter   as  an  option  although  the   army  did not  opt for  them.  I   like  to  be  totally  original  but  in  this  case  if  I  cannot  reliably  start  the  truck   then   it  will never  leave  home.  

IMG_1653.JPG

IMG_1655.JPG

• Like 2

Were you lucky enough to find a gear ring that fitted or did you make a new one. The teeth in the pictures look freshly cut and I guess it was just shrunk on. What was the outside diameter of the flywheel and how many thou undersize was the ring? It looks a super job!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2019 at 1:24 PM, Asciidv said:

Were you lucky enough to find a gear ring that fitted or did you make a new one. The teeth in the pictures look freshly cut and I guess it was just shrunk on. What was the outside diameter of the flywheel and how many thou undersize was the ring? It looks a super job!

Hello I   bought   the  largest  gear  ring  that    would  fit the  flywheel   thereby  needing  the  least  machining.  It  was  12 thousandths undersize .Dropped  right   down   after  heating   and  no pinning  was   needed. I  would  have  used   a  ring  that   extended   beyond  the   flywheel  diameter   but  there  was  minimal  clearance with  the  frame rail making  that  impossible.

IMG_1672.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

1918 FWD update....rolled it outside and filled the radiator. Good news water system is tight . no leaks!!!. AND appears to run cool. Newly installed starter works perfectly. (small period   momentary  switch mounted   below  the  mag  cut  off).  Fuel line has some issues with the old petcocks not closing properly and the newly installed fuel filter may be too good and not allowing the fuel to enter the carb fast enough. (this is a gravity fed engine meaning no fuel pump) These issues are hopefully easy to correct. Here is a good picture of the beast outside in sun light and a longer run up of the motor . Oil pressure is good as well. Getting closer every day. Also  a  picture  of  the starter motor  and  bracket  we  made for  the  truck.

IMG_E2574.JPG

IMG_2476.JPG

Edited by bobs1918
addition/correction
  • Like 3

Thanks  Terry....I  solved  the  starter   issue with  a  non  period  set up  but  boy  does  that  make  my  life  easier! Thanks  for  your  help.  As I  remember   you  had  to  fabricate   the  bronze fittings  that screw into  the  jug and  the  spark  plugs  screw into  them.  Not  sure  of  the  term.   A  few  of  mine   have been  mangled over the last  100  years and  are misshapen and  may  present  with   blow  out.   Is  this something  that  could  be  fabricated   at your  end  perhaps?  If  not  I  may  go  with  a  second  copper  crush  gasket  to   improve  this

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 4:54 PM, bobs1918 said:

Thanks  Terry....I  solved  the  starter   issue with  a  non  period  set up  but  boy  does  that  make  my  life  easier! Thanks  for  your  help.  As I  remember   you  had  to  fabricate   the  bronze fittings  that screw into  the  jug and  the  spark  plugs  screw into  them.  Not  sure  of  the  term.   A  few  of  mine   have been  mangled over the last  100  years and  are misshapen and  may  present  with   blow  out.   Is  this something  that  could  be  fabricated   at your  end  perhaps?  If  not  I  may  go  with  a  second  copper  crush  gasket  to   improve  this

Hello Bob,

Yes, those are valve covers. I lucked out and found a fairly un-molested set in Don's stash of parts. I can measure one of mine to see if they are the same size as yours. The best bet would be to have then cast then machined. If I remember correctly Don used a metal detector on me to make sure I wasn't spiriting choice parts away! (LOL)

DSC_7205.thumb.JPG.7145cb87b56619020176db0102bf19bd.JPG

• 6 months later...

The  1918 FWD Model  B with the  Ordnance Repair  shop body has  passed anther  hurdle  as  the  body  was  reunited  with  the chassis.  The truck   starts  stops  shifts  into  all  gears. It  has  been  a   hard  four  year  project certainly  harder than  any  of  my  other   smaller   vehicles. Here is  the  before and  after

FWDfinal (2).jpg

FWDprerestoration.JPG

Edited by bobs1918
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1