FWD gets new shoes

bobs1918

front  wheels  installed today with  the  assistance  of  a  fork  lift. All  the   wheel bearings   were honed   to  reinstall  them.

The left  front   is  either  a  Goodrich  or  Goodyear wheel. All  others  are  Firestone. There are  differences. The  Goodyear or  Goodrich   mounts  the  tire  slightly  offset and  uses straight  roller  bearings  The Firestone's use a  tapered  bearing. Almost  ready  to  roll  it  home!

IMG_5900.JPG

IMG_5901.JPG

IMG_5902.JPG

IMG_5903.JPG

IMG_5905.JPG

IMG_5906.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

All four   wheels mounted  Had  1  cracked wheel   bearing   so my  spare chassis was called upon  to  give up  one  of  its  bearings. Finally  brought  the  truck  home after  2  years. Will  bring  the  body  home  this   spring/summer.  Now to get  into  the  engine  and  mechanicals.

IMG_6207.JPG

IMG_6209.JPG

IMG_6212.JPG

IMG_6001.JPG

IMG_6004.JPG

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bobs1918 said:

The  spare chassis as found  in  Colorado. I  have needed  wheel  bearing   , large  bearing  retainer  nut and   lock washers

fwdchassis.jpg

Was that from Don Chew's estate? Looks like you can also get a matching wheel replace the off one, right?

Hello

No  not  from Don directly.  It had  a  different  owner  in  the high  country  although  he  MAY  have gotten  it  from  Don.  The wheels  on  the spare   are  NOT  identical  to  the  ones  on  my  truck. The   hole and ring  pattern differ. It  also  lacks its  own  rings, bolts, and  rim  wedges so it  had  possibly  used for  parts in   its  past......Maybe  Don?

In  a  pinch  I certainly  could  have gotten  it  to   work  if  a  wheel  was  needed.

Edited by bobs1918

9 hours ago, Great War truck said:

That's handy that you found a second chassis. It looks quite good condition. Any history behind that? Any other useful parts that could be saved?

Tim

Tim

it was pretty   well  stripped   for  running  gear. NO axles or drive shafts  BUT   what it has is like  gold to  me as  you  well  know.

I  may use    the tie rods. After   I  determine  that nothing  else  is  needed  I will  pass it  along  to  the   next   restorer of  an  FWD. No  history  although    it  was   found  in  the mountains  of Colorado  above  10,000  feet  altitude. If  that  was in  the  UK you  and  your team   could probably   build   a   full  truck on  it!!!

Edited by bobs1918

Wednesday begins engine work so today I busied myself fitting the two reproduction engine side panels I had made last year.
The two larger ones were fabricated at a Southern California  speed shop. Hard to get that work done around here . They match up really well with the two smaller originals. Also had two correct Kerosene headlamps. They are the same type as used on my Dodge truck. Began fitting the steering wheel but it will require patience to get it perfectly aligned and secured as it appears to be about 1/4 inch too long in its diameter.

Cleaned  up the  right   side of  the   engine . Glad  to  have  the correct  coupling  for  the  magneto

Close up of the data plates on the cowl shows that this truck was number 32 of about 500 built by the Kissell Car Company under license of the FWD company who could not produce enough to meet the demands of the U S Army. Note  that  on  the  bronze  data  plate  the   number  matches  the   number  stamped  into  the  sheet  metal  below  the  plate. Just  noticed  that  today.

Cleaned  up  the  oil pump  so  that  it  can  be  removed   before  dropping  the oil   pan.

IMG_6277.JPG

IMG_6278.JPG

IMG_6279.JPG

IMG_6286.JPG

IMG_6287.JPG

IMG_E6290.JPG

Edited by bobs1918
  • Like 3
  • Up 1

On 11/27/2018 at 5:53 PM, Great War truck said:

Great that you have the original data plates. The Adlakes are nice. Where did you find them?

Adlakes were also used on  my  Dodge ww 1  repair truck so I  am  always on  the  look   for  them  especially  with  the   handles  still   attached.  Sometimes  ebay  sometimes  local  flea  markets.. Those were   standard  on  the  FWDs   delivered  to  US  Army. Were they  also  on  UK   delivered  trucks?

Today  was a  busy  day. Removed   oil  pan , oil pump(has great  suction), intake  manifold   , warm  air  tube, upper  water  manifold, governor  and   carburetor. One  stud broken 

when  we  removed   water  manifold. The manifold  itself  was  badly  corroded  and  will  not  be  used.  I   had  already   secured  a  good  replacement.A few  valves  are  hanging  up and  will  need  attention.  There  is  also   a  sticky  spot   when  engine  is turned   which  may  be   rusty  rings. That  is   for  next  week. 

Will now have  to  deal  with  the  mouse   nests  in the water  chambers and  passages.  

IMG_6308.JPG

IMG_6310.JPG

IMG_6312.JPG

IMG_6315.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bobs1918 said:

Adlakes were also used on  my  Dodge ww 1  repair truck so I  am  always on  the  look   for  them  especially  with  the   handles  still   attached.  Sometimes  ebay  sometimes  local  flea  markets.. Those were   standard  on  the  FWDs   delivered  to  US  Army. Were they  also  on  UK   delivered  trucks?

The fixed bale Adlakes were used on most US built trucks that were purchased by the British, So we see them on the usual suspects: Packard, Pierce Arrow, Peerless, Locomobile, FWD. Some of the early British FWDs had lamps that I dont recognise. Maybe purchased in the UK or maybe from the US. I will find a picture of one.

The Adlakes fitted to the British FWD's had just one mounting point as opposed to the US ones which had two. Dont know why that was.. Originals of these are very hard to find.

Another day in the books for the FWD project.
Today the ultra rare Stromberg model G carburetor (patented in 1909) was disassembled and all components are now free and working as they should The glass bowl is cracked and a replacement will need to be found. Removed the brass drain plus from the heads and out poured a pile of sand and rust. OUCH. The water system will need to be flushed out. The brass plugs on the top of the heads were removed and the carbon buildup was heavy. A few minutes at the end of the day we fitted the newly made water manifold (original was unrepairable) and the water pump (which was missing) to the engine just to see and greatly pleased as they mated up perfectly. Not at all ready for this but when the time comes I know they fit. These parts were sourced through restorers/collectors of Stutz Bearcat cars. These sporty classics from the 1920s share the same engine as the FWD . The Stutz however has no governor and weighs about 1/3 of the truck and were very quick for their day. Lot  of  cleanup  next   few days. I  thought the  float  was cracked  viewing  through  the  glass but   what  I  saw  was   gasket  sealer  dripping  down  the  side. It  cleaned up  perfectly  well. 

IMG_6376.JPG

IMG_6381.JPG

IMG_6385.JPG

IMG_6386.JPG

IMG_6391.JPG

IMG_6399.JPG

Edited by bobs1918
addition/
  • Like 1

The FWD engine tear down has begun. After stripping down all the pipes manifolds and other components the heads were removed today. I installed a vintage chain hoist which I had purchased a few years ago at the local flea market. Cost me maybe 20 bucks. System worked fine to lift the two heads off the block. realized quickly why it was hard to crank. one of the two heads had been damaged by water freezing and causing one cylinder to bulge internally and the other to crack externally. The bulge was binding the piston. These issues will be addressed by my engine repair shop. One cylinder will need a sleeve the crack will have to be "stitched " back together .The  second   head   with  cylinders 1  and  2   was fine.  Good news was the original pistons are in wonderful condition as are the valves , guides and  seats . These  will require  a  simple  resurfacing and  lapping. Will  also  look  for  a  set of  rod  bearing  inserts as  the  originals  show  a  good  deal of   wear. They  are  dated   4-18 and  the  original pistons   are clearly   stamped  P-1 through P-4. May also need  new  rings  made

IMG_6445.JPG

IMG_6426.JPG

IMG_6430.JPG

IMG_6434.JPG

IMG_6437.JPG

IMG_6440.JPG

IMG_6441.JPG

IMG_6444.JPG

Edited by bobs1918
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, 4x4Founder said:

You are living the dream, my friend!  I've rebuild hundreds of engines but a Wisconsin T-Head is not on that list... nor any truly classic engine. It looks amazingly good considering.

Hi Jim

Some  night  the  dream is  more like  a  nightmare but  I  am  sure    when   I finally  awake, and it  is  completed , the  dream   will have  been  quite  pleasurable!

• 4 weeks later...

Received the new  Carb  glass  from  a  Glass  company. I will  leave  the  patina  as  you  see it. Also  checked  the  water pump which  I  bought  18 months  ago.Lucky  me it  was a  winner.Shaft   and  bearing   were  in  excellent  condition. You  just  never  know  what  you  are  getting   and  these  FWD  water pumps  are very  scarce.  Temporarily  installed  it  so  I  could  measure  the  gap  for  the  rag  joint. Used  a  reamer  to refurbish   the  rod  bearings. Did  two  bearings the  other  two  are  at the  machine  shop   while  the  sleeves  are  installed  in  two of  the  cylinders. Moving  along  very  well. 

IMG_6760.JPG

IMG_6722.JPG

IMG_6765.JPG

IMG_6766.JPG

IMG_6720.JPG

IMG_6721.JPG

• Like 1