LarryH57

Colour of 6pdr AT gun Ammo boxes in WW2

Question

Does anyone know what colour of 6pdr AT gun Ammo boxes were in WW2.

Were they issued in colours to match vehicle colours the same way German kit started to be 'sand yellow' after Feb 1943, or were UK 6 pdr Ammo boxes just churned out of the factory in one colour throughout WW2.

We are all used to seeing gloss brown ammo boxes these days but I thought that was a post-war colour.

8 answers to this question

Officially, they were painted 'service colour'. This was usually SCC2 service brown which is the same as the modern gloss brown but the matt level makes a huge difference to the shade. I have seen them in green however, not repaints but with original stencilling.

'Service colour' changed over time and pre-war ammunition containers (not 6 pdr of course) were bronze green. It might just be possible that some early boxes for the 6 pdr were in Khaki Green. SCC2 was discontinued in 1944 so it's quite likely that there was a year or so of wartime production in British Olive Drab.

Adrian,

Is that box in SCC2 then - always hard to know in a photo

SCC2 is brown. It might be SCC15, olive drab. It's not mine, sadly, pics came from eBay a few years ago.

I have had these in original paint and Brown over the years - might have a pic still - will have a rummage.