Cel

Dewald chain drive truck

I thought I'd post this while waiting for an update on the Thornycroft test drive. We finally picked up our new restoration project, a Dewald KL truck. It has been modified with tyres in 1941 and is in quite good condition. Here are a few pictures, will post more next week.

Regards

Marcel

IMG_20180429_142347.jpg

IMG_20180428_173657.jpg

IMG_20180428_173620.jpg

IMG_20180429_142620.jpg

What year is it? It is rather nice. Was it originally on solid tyres? 

I don't know the exact year, but should be about 1920-25. It was originally on wooden wheels with solids, there is one other survivor known, at the Fondation Berliet in Lyon. It is really in a very good condition.

Edited by Cel

This is how it stood in January, as a result of a flooding of the Seine river.

Dewald (2).jpg

Nice one Marcel, Is it an militairy vehicle? Seen the protection bar in front of the grille and the tow hooks on the chassis?

Well i am glad you got it home to dry out. That unloved "United" truck was also recovered from a flood. It did look better before it had been restored but there we go.  

Dewald supplied trucks to the french government during the war, but also in the years after they had substantial contracts for military use and from building contractors. As the article in CU says, they must have been prisoner of their own concept and when the time came to modernize they missed the boat. Charles Dewald is considered as the inventor of the hydraulic tipper. If you look up his name in google patents you'll find a patent of a hydraulic ram, US 1.237.309, where oil is supplied through hollow journals. This is obviously done in order to avoid the use of a hose, which back then could not withstand the high pressure. The hydraulic system of my truck has disappeared but you can steel see the holes where the ram was fitted and the pto on the gearbox.

Marcel