Hi I near the end of a full strip down and have got all the black powder coat of frame .so what I like to know is  what colour brown did the RAF use in WW 2 or was it just a brown they fond ?.Thanks

No, procedures and colours were very much standardised, certainly when they left the factories. From quite early in the conflict, machines for all branches were finished in a standard Service colour. For 1940 / '41, this would have been Khaki Green No.3, later SCC (Standard Camouflage Colour) No.2 and later still, British Olive Drab.

If you're looking for ex-Works, 1941 delivery then KG3 is what you have to aim for.

For added info. There is no BS paint code for Khaki Green..... Service Brown is BS 499 and Olive Drab is BS 298. 

Posted (edited)

298 and 499 are close equivalents/substitutes but not the actual shades for SCC15 and SCC2. Near enough for all but the very picky though - especially as there would have been some manufacturing variation likely anyway.

There’s a place in Retford (Paintman Paint) that sells a matched KG3 paint although I have never used it and have no connection  to the firm

Edited by simon king
Added info