Well done Gordon I guessed you'd be out there somewhere in cyber space,

fully agree with you that the rear position stamping for the frame number is a British addition and I wonder if it may have been done post war when the new  two number, two letter, two number system came into force. 

Your observation about panel vans will also apply to any other body type in the Canadian range with the exception of Tankers where the rear top face of the frame is fully exposed.

I'll have a good look in the morning in the front area you suggest but I'm pretty sure there is nothing there,

Pete

No problem Pete.  The chassis part number was machine stamped and is always clear and legible, the chassis number itself seems to have been stamped by someone with a number block, and I'm guessing that after he had stamped the first thousand chassis in a shift his enthusiasm was maybe a little low.  The chassis number can be really difficult to see as it was often faint to begin with.

Pete, the 110 is coming on slowly, the engine is finally completed along with the front axle, the rear hubs are next on the list so that a rolling chassis can built up, meanwhile I have been working on the Tilly, I have also recently bought another 110L (imported) which was the reason behind the chassis number question.

Your truck looks to be progressing well.

If it helps what I believe to be the chassis number on the latest Dodge is on the front left hand leg between the front spring hanger and the shock absorber, however the Chassis number of T110L135175C doesn’t match any of the numbers listed in the manual I have, I know of another 110 of which the chassis number starts with the T110L and ends with ‘C’ neither vehicle has any data plates for age verification.

I am wondering if there was another list of numbers which ended with the ‘C’ (presumably for Canadian), the engine number starts with 110L and also ends with ‘C’

You may find some numbers on the front of each chassis leg forward of the spring hangers which I believe are part numbers.

best regards Kevin

Hi Pete,

I think you'll find there's a number stamped into the front near side of the chassis, in the vicinity of the rear spring hanger IIRC, though rather than being the chassis number it's actually the original engine number (I still have the original engine here, though it will require a full rebuild).

Regards,

Matt.

Thanks for the input chaps very interesting........ so Iv'e found my glasses and got the magnifying glass out here's what I've come with:

8 hours ago, M.Rimmer said:

(Hi Pete,

I think you'll find there's a number stamped into the front near side of the chassis, in the vicinity of the rear spring hanger IIRC, though rather than being the chassis number it's actually the original engine number

Regards,

Matt.

Your right Matt on both counts, it is located where you suggest  and it is the engine number according to the cab plates.

I have not noticed it before  as it is rather faint.  It's located on the right hand rail just above the front spring rear hanger here's a photo that I've messed about with to try to bring it out more.

it reads:  T222 29865 C

1576968142_rightrail.JPG.1a6b7f97e8aadcf99dedf2ba504ef41e.JPG

8 hours ago, 253cmg said:

If it helps what I believe to be the chassis number on the latest Dodge is on the front left hand leg between the front spring hanger and the shock absorber, however the Chassis number of T110L135175C doesn’t match any of the numbers listed in the manual I have, I know of another 110 of which the chassis number starts with the T110L and ends with ‘C’ neither vehicle has any data plates for age verification.

I am wondering if there was another list of numbers which ended with the ‘C’ (presumably for Canadian), the engine number starts with 110L and also ends with ‘C’

You may find some numbers on the front of each chassis leg forward of the spring hangers which I believe are part numbers.

best regards Kevin

16 hours ago, Gordon_M said:

The chassis part number was machine stamped and is always clear and legible, the chassis number itself seems to have been stamped by someone with a number block, and I'm guessing that after he had stamped the first thousand chassis in a shift his enthusiasm was maybe a little low.  The chassis number can be really difficult to see as it was often faint to begin with.

Well chaps there is nothing there on my frame that would relate to a part number which from my Jan 1943 T222 parts list is as follows, 929030 Right rail, 929031 Left rail.

What is there as clear as a bell is this 2/41 up side down on both left and right rails  see photos below, also just near to the numbers are what look like a pair of little shields stamped in..... are these the checkers marks you were referring to Gordon ?

Right rail

1645711604_righthandrail.JPG.d8ffb1fd0b74176a41869ac538a3299d.JPG

Left rail

1839070981_Lefthandrail.JPG.0cee19c36beb5ff3043f7ffe4a154b74.JPG

The number on the rear of the frame wont photograph clearly unfortunately but it is as follows, 91069764 which is the frame number stamped onto the cab plates and also the Dodge Brothers data plate on the door frame, see below.

SDC18274.jpg.07cb8ebad20086d16fbe08367e9c6239.jpg

I don't think any of this has answered your original question,  in fact it seems to have muddied the waters somewhat as is oft the way I'm afraid

Pete

Edited by Pete Ashby
missing word

Somewhat clearer.

The T222 number is the frame number, no doubt, and 2/41 has to be the date, and the small shield is the inspectors acceptance stamp too.

The 910xxxx number is the formal chassis number, so the method of marking and location has to be different between Canadian and US output.

As long as you have one of this on the V55 you'll be fine.  8-)