Bomb Trolley

Good evening,

I am in the process of starting to restore what I believe to be a Type C MK1 Bomb Trolley and am looking for some assistance as I am unaware of any other examples to use as a reference because the RAF Museum has no info available, I have the manual for MK2 and MK3 models which have helped to some degree but I am struggling to confirm the precise arrangement of the leaf springs especially the rear ones as I think I am a few leafs missing.

I understand that the MK1's where converted into the rigid MK2 version.

Would anyone have a manual for the MK1 and or any photos or even know the whereabouts of one, I have had a good search of the web and have found very little to assist.

I am also on the look out for some tyres and the rear towing hitch

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Mark

20180325_142857.jpg

20180325_084754.jpg

20180325_142844.jpg

20180312_160523.png

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi Mark,

how are you managing with the restoration, only just found this thread.

any pics of its progress welcome.

are you still lacking vital data, I might have some photos if I dig deep.

I have now sent you a PM as I aim to help you all ways possible. You have the only Type C Mk l that  I am aware of and we must all do what we can to assist. The channel cross members though are not the W supports that sat atop the side frames in the U brackets that made the C type Mk1 distinctive along with its front and back leaf spring pairs, tubular cross members and adjustable orientation (fwd or up) elephant trunk-like (though very short ones !)  devices for mounting small hoists.

BOBC

Edited by BOBC1940
PM flag up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi BOBC

Things are progressing at a slow pace but getting there slowly, the amount of corrosion has been an issue along with rebuilding the springs.

Yes the W supports have been removed but there is evidence of the U brackets being fitted remaining, I have left this evidence as part of its history but 3 of its adjustable bearers survived (though one is in two pieces), non of the wedges survived. so will have to make these from scratch along with a extra bearer.

The other odd thing is that is square box section and not round tube with the disc hoist attachments, which leads me to think there must have been 2 versions of a MK1, sadly the data plate is missing but you can see were it was fitted.

Replacement wheels have been an issue in the hunt for an original matched set of Dunlop tyres I came across many variants of wheels, some with 6 holes, some with 5 and with varying spacings, plus different centre diameters, I've had to make some adaptors to get a matching set to fit.

I will post some photos of how things have progressed.

Regards

Mark

Edited by 39Fordson

Hi,

Hope you can get hold of me via your PM I sent.

Great to see this coming along., if only more had cared for Bomb Trolleys over the years, and not blinkered on aircraft.

I can't ID this as the Type C Mk 1 had no trough type cross members and it had tubular front and rear members with the two discs for attaching the trunking for the small hoist. The trough type cross members are Type C Mk ll and Mk lll, the Mk ll also having tubular cross members but solid arms out to axles, I wonder if there is a Type C Mk ll late version then ? have you or anyone got photos of this trolley with its 'crossbreed' spec in action ?

BOBC

33 minutes ago, BOBC1940 said:

Hi,

Hope you can get hold of me via your PM I sent.

Great to see this coming along., if only more had cared for Bomb Trolleys over the years, and not blinkered on aircraft.

I can't ID this as the Type C Mk 1 had no trough type cross members and it had tubular front and rear members with the two discs for attaching the trunking for the small hoist. The trough type cross members are Type C Mk ll and Mk lll, the Mk ll also having tubular cross members but solid arms out to axles, I wonder if there is a Type C Mk ll late version then ? have you or anyone got photos of this trolley with its 'crossbreed' spec in action ?

BOBC

I was thinking more along the lines of a Type C MK 1 1/2 (or a later MK1 version part way to a MKII) due to the fact it had suspension and was originally fitted with W frames, the trough type bearers are a defiantly later modification.

Could it be this came between the MK1 and MKII but was not found to be suitable for loading via the loading ramp, hence the change to rigid frames, it has wheel bearings so that makes it early as later wheels were fitted with bushes.

Its a bit of an enigma as I have not found any photo evidence of one yet, either way it makes it rare.

Regards

Mark

Edited by 39Fordson

• 3 weeks later...

Nice one your bomb trolley has 3 stud wheels are they original I have a horse drawn dray that has the same wheels and was sure they had come of a car of some sort do you have wheels for sale I have a friend who is looking for some

Hi Butcher,

I think you are referring to Fordson39's accumulator trolley towed behind the Fordson in the photo, as his bomb trolley with its green hub has 6 studs, counting the lightening  holes I count 12 on the accumulator trolley and 12 on the yellow hub. Need a larger pic of the accumulator trolley to see the stud count. what are those three (one missing) pointed spiggots on the yellow rim ?

BOBC

Maybe the RAF decided to use them as well, rather than 're-invent the wheel' ....oh dear couldnt resist that one 🤣

Early accumulator trolleys had solid hubs and a 'dog kennel' shape to the wooden box, then they went more squat shape, flat top with wide chamfered corners/sides and these 12 port wheels appeared.

BOBC