Striker CVRT: rocket pod hydraulics, clutch knock, and red light?

sexton

I'm working on a Striker CVRT. I have some questions I hope you can help me with.

It has a hydraulically operated rocket pod. When the pod is raised, the hydraulic tank level drops very low. I have bled the system at the ram when elevated but got no air out. If oil is added when raised, the tank overflows when the pod is lowered. I suspect the accumulator gas pressure (supposed to be 700 psi) is low,  so it is taking a lot of oil to push the piston back enough to allow pressure to increase, and then when lowered, the accumulator is pushing the oil back into the tank and overflowing it. Has anyone else seen this? 

If the idle is rough and low on a cold start, or when shutting the engine off, there is a nasty loud knock from the clutch. I suspect it's the sprag clutch that's allows tow-starting intermittently locking up on reverse loading. Any one else seen this? 

I just finished working on a Scimitar. The red warning light on the distribution box didn't light when running normally, which didn't surprise me as the manual says it only lights when the batteries are connected wrongly or a slave cable is reverse connected somehow. However, on this Striker, the red light lights when running normally, with the alternator charging. Was the function of this light changed or does this indicate a problem?

Thanks,

Malcolm 

On my Spartan when the engine/gearbox is cold there is quite a bang on switch off - alarming but normal. Get it all warmed up and the bang goes.

When the engine is running normally the warning light on the distribution panel comes on and the ignition light on the drivers panel goes off.

Diana

The glow on the distribution box light should be about 1/2 brilliance, when running ,and if you had reverse polarity, ie. connected batteries the wrong way around, it will glow full brilliance.

I had nothing working on my Scorp. , like the volt gauge or warning ign. light would not go out, and you would think there was something wrong with the charging system. It turned out to be just old batteries that did not have the correct amps or power.

Yet the vehicle started and ran great.

I put some big gel batteries in and all the charging and electrical's started working!

( This was after spending 2 days testing every diode and circuit in all those black boxes!)

So moral of the story is good batteries x 2

Cheers Andrew.

Diana, if, like this Striker, the red light on the distribution panel of your Spartan comes on during normal running, either the function of the light changed since the 1973 manual I have was written or the logic circuit that lights the light is defective.  It doesn't seem normal for a bright red light to be lit if everything is ok. It didn't light on the diesel Scimitar I worked on recently. 

Andrew, both batteries tested good so i don't think it's bad batteries. Where Did you get the info about 1/2 brilliance and full brilliance. Is it in a later manual?

Malcolm

Malcolm,

I’ve had several CVRTs, the red light always comes on when the alternator starts charging. You can usually hear a clunk from the regulator panel in front of the brake and steering reservoirs too. Does the Scimitar need a new bulb?

Chris

The manual I was using is CVRT Electrical Systems dated June 1980, pages 19 and 25, section 8 " The battery indicator lamp: is 28 volts , 40 ma bulb, under normal conditions , only about 11 volts is dropped across its terminals. Consequently it lights at half brilliance and in so doing indicates that all is well with the battery circuits. " Cheers Andrew.