Blocking up Vehicles.

On 29/03/2018 at 10:46 AM, MatchFuzee said:

Definition  from the Oxford English Dictionary:-

Loose wood, matting, or similar material used to keep a cargo in position in a ship's hold.

Dated, informal A person's belongings, especially those brought on board ship.

belongings, possessions, stuff, property, worldly goods, goods, personal effects, effects, paraphernalia, impedimenta, bits and pieces, bits and bobs
Origin:-

Middle English: of unknown origin

Having worked on a reefer (freezer ship) on the Liverpool to Kiwi trade ,  the term was to  "dunnage out"  ,   IIRC  - this was after the brine refrigerant was down to temp.  and all leaks secured  LoL  ,  the holds were then passed off , the "walls" were lined with timber (lakri on a black-crew ship)  -  abt. 1" thick sawn softwood boards , the tween-decks were lined with simiar but heavier , more or less like pallets - this was so there was no metal contact with butter & meat.    Once the cargo was cleared , the stevedores would remove the dunnage to the decks,  then between ports it would be thrown over the wall.  I used to think - what a waste , I could build a good garage with that - some gain to beachcombers in those days prior to containerization.

Edited by ruxy
spelin

Sometimes when I was trimming out the holds on bulk Alumina ships both tween deckers and open holds, I would come accross several tons stacked in one corner. It would be for the crew and dockers to move it and clean it off once I had got as much cleaned away as I could with the wheeled loader. Car carriers were the worst to clean with the rows of cleats they oftain damaged the unloading grab. First time I worked with a self discharger they said we will be putting obout 1200 tonnes an hour of granite on to the quay. I said oh yes in a patronising kind of way and then had to apologise as as this mountain grew in front of me. I think the most I had worked with up to that point was 600 tph stocking out at a power station.   

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I live up a sloped cul de sac. Coming home one day there was a Proffesional Mobile Mechanic working on a vehicle. It was parked with two wheels on the kerb, and a single trolley jcak under the other side in the middle of the vehicle  at full height!

Some people must practice for hours, no one can be born that stupid!

If it was not such a serious subject it would have made a good "Two Ronnies" sketch.Four Jacks. I saw a car driven up two car ramps at the front, then one wheel had been removed leaving one side supported by a fully extended hydraulic jack on a brick. This was on the road at the end of a row of houses.