Swb landy markings

minidaffy

Hi chaps, 

A good friend of mine is in the process of restoring his swb Landover and was hoping to get a little bit more information on the markings/history of the old girl...it also appears to have an added oil cooler in the front that we're unsure of the need/purpose??

Any help gratefully received

Many thanks martin

IMG_20180319_170308.jpg

IMG_20180319_170322.jpg

59 minutes ago, lozzaboy said:

If it was a 24v FFR then the oil cooler was standard fitment.

We think it may of been 24v but it's certainly not anymore, I'm a bit short on clues at the moment as I've only been sent pictures...he does have the army reg number but it doesn't come up with anything at the rlc archive.. cheers for the info 👍 

7 hours ago, minidaffy said:

We think it may of been 24v but it's certainly not anymore, I'm a bit short on clues at the moment as I've only been sent pictures...he does have the army reg number but it doesn't come up with anything at the rlc archive.. cheers for the info 👍 

Q

8 hours ago, lozzaboy said:

If it was a 24v FFR then the oil cooler was standard fitment.

Correction. All military spec series 2as were exactly the same in external and internal fittings except for the electrical systems, which in the case of FFW (early 40amp 24V) and FFR (90amp) had the radio charging parts added on. The FFW had one external fitting different from all other landies, this being the 'toastie' grille to protect the selenium rectifier. 

Of course, GS were 12 V, with the FFW and FFR versions being 24V. The oil cooler was part of the standard fitting regardless of whether it was 12 or 24V. The oil cooler carried on being fitted in the series 3 GS and FFR versions but only in the lwb since there were no series 3 GS swb landies, only CL versions, which were exactly the same as civilian swb versions, apart from some addons, such as towhook and trailer socket. Ruxy can chime in here with the exact details of these CL landies.

With the advent of the coil sprung landies in 1983, all long wheelbase contracts for leaf sprung landies being fulfilled at that time had the oil cooler, gauge, and front bumperettes eliminated, although the military bumper with holes for the bumperettes was retained.

S2 + S2A  , rivet-counting details of how a Contract was vehicle assembled at Solihull . I find the best info. is the ILLUSTRATED SPARE PARTS LIST  (mine is  Army Code 20873 revised Oct. 1970)  Rover Part  No.  607307

This covers Land Rovers  6.8, 8/2, 9,  9/1

It is not totally perfect - but as near as dam.

Once armed with the Contract No.  I go to the List of Contracts at the front , this has lots of info. but I make good use of the  Cts. Code (this is a letter ,  such as B = this tells me it is S2 era. and much more civilian , after - S2A have military chassis, military tub etc. etc.  This code could be two letters such as  AD  (this is CAR UTITLITY - Station Wagen 109" ,  a SW is a bit different and you can expect it to be more in line with a civilian spec.)

Interesting - I find , with these S2A Contract lists there seems just one mention of a single description of a CL  (seems just 1 qty. vehicle chassis No. 25112146C  Contract  WV4052/R1355   This is detailed as  TRUCK UTILITY ,CL, 109",   4x4  Plain Hard Top  RHD  (I think this is the only mention of a hard top in the lists)

Another oddity   -   WV4630   VAN , GENERAL SERVICE,  109"  4x4  ,FFR, RHD.    This seems the only mention of the word  VAN   !       I suppose if I followed the Contract code AJ - then I may find it based on a civilian spec. chassis,  there again without a check  FFR , then one would expect a military spec. chassis.

However , pointless being to strident with info. gained ,  because exceptions turn up.

------------

Of interest to me  (I have a Rover 10)  is a similar  Land Rovers  10 & 11  (late S2A)  ILLUSTRATED PARTS CATALOGUE.  Army Code.  22007   Amdt. 22007-1    April 1973

This is presented in a similar way , however it does state if the contract is ARMY or  RAF +  RN  ,  there is a mass of RAF contracts giving more complexity to actual component build up.  The RN makes a bit of interesting reading (there being little good source info. for RN)  -  such as  109"  TRUCK PILOT RESCUE  24 v  ????

-------------

I find always safer to use the words 'generally speaking'  it seems Solihull built the truck with ,,

Edited by ruxy
spelin

Have a look at the list of asset codes for Rover 9s and Rover 11s in the Fletcher/Taylor book.  There are a total of seven vans mentioned.  Looking at them at least four of them clearly have a SIGINT connection – one being DF and three being EW/Y and six of the seven being FFR.  I suspect these were the forerunners of the 1 tonne Vampire and Intercept Complex wagons.  The use of the word van may, therefore, imply both a non-removable hard top and a rear door, (rather than, say, a catflap) probably no side windows and with  suitable security for the highly classified material they would have held. 

Other asset codes do show hard tops for both Rover 9 and 11, eg 1711-1762 Truck, Utility, CL ¾ ton 4x4, Plain Hard Top, Rover 9, while 1711-1766 is similar but Rover 11.

All together there appear to be eight CL asset codes for the Rover 9 and Rover 11, if you include the RAF ones.

10 68