War & Peace Revival - 2018

LarryH57

I went for a full week and had a great time again! While there are always things that can improve I just don't understand that attitude of trying to bash everything. If you don't like it, adapt next year or just don't go. It's really as simple as that...

I went through the stalls every day and it was indeed a bit quiet except for the Saturday, but I guess that was largely due to the heat. Usually I went around 9am, then would go back to my tent around noon for some shade, a cool drink, a nap and maybe reading a book before heading out again around 3pm. After dinner I would usually walk or drive around the fields to admire all the vehicles on display.

Can't comment about the toilets either as our group had booked our own (cost me a whopping £5 for the entire week) but the public ones seemed a bit scarce indeed. Also, I agree about the bins. There should have been more. There were a good number of water points though, which were essential in this weather.

I will absolutely try to go again next year!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Talking of the stalls why is it that such well known experts in the field of Land Rovers can set up at WPR and sell such tat; ie parts that go beyond the word second hand (ie rusting, broken or unusable) mostly taken from scrapped vehicles and charge prices as if the part was fit for purpose - whereas Jeep Parts had a well set out trailer and stand selling 'cared for' replacement parts?

Edited by LarryH57

"I've never understood why people moan about the cost of getting to the show, no one is forced to attend, its your choice."

not went for 3 years now, my dad the 101fc ambulance driver died last May...  the extra charge did not help to get more toilets, and the value for money seemed to drop so why pay to get in that show?  

Friends that went this year ended it short and will not go back again. Time for other shows, keeping my eye on the one in Twente NL on how it develops and going for veterans days. 

1 hour ago, LarryH57 said:

Talking of the stalls why is it that such well known experts in the field of Land Rovers can set up at WPR and sell such tat; ie parts that go beyond the word second hand (ie rusting, broken or unusable) mostly taken from scrapped vehicles and charge prices as if the part was fit for purpose - whereas Jeep Parts had a well set out trailer and stand selling 'cared for' replacement parts?

could it be the cost of a pitch; high price of w&p pitch=higher cost of trader's sale items.

yes, I moaned about w&p, but went on the sat and was pleasantly surprised. Ignoring the bogs 'n' dosh debate, as a show it has got better, and to those who took part in arena runs-well done! 

7 hours ago, gas 44 said:

I'm not sure that I agree about the booking and paying and not what you bring.

I was under the impression it was a military vehicle sort of show, not a white van show ??

I meant the organisors don't seem to care about what people bring, as long as payment is made.

If a Land Rover parts supplier comes to WPR they would have to pay for a pitch, so it cannot be the reason for the tat! I thought the idea was to make a profit. Perhaps there weren't enough Land Rovers at WPR!

BTW - how did they get on with the proposed 50 Lwts in Medway on Friday afternoon?

Sadly I had to leave in my Lwt early on Friday due to ilheath of my friend

Edited by LarryH57

5 hours ago, .303fan said:

Time for other shows, keeping my eye on the one in Twente NL on how it develops...

Went to the first edition as a visitor and wasn't impressed, didn't bother with the winter-edition and heard it was even worse. I will follow it too but won't hold my breath.

2 hours ago, LarryH57 said:

- how did they get on with the proposed 50 Lwts in Medway on Friday afternoon?

Sorry you weren't able to stay for it, but, yes, they got the 50!  Have a look at the thread on Militarylightweight.co.uk forum for a few pictures.

10 68

54 minutes ago, earlymb said:

Went to the first edition as a visitor and wasn't impressed, didn't bother with the winter-edition and heard it was even worse. I will follow it too but won't hold my breath.

It is a young show and got lots to learn but if they listen to people then water and entertainment issues will get sorted. Free entry for early bookings is not that bad. Last year my dad was the only 101fc ambulance on site. 

We went to the first one at twente and had a great time nice and relaxed and the food etc was fine( struggled a bit with the translation),there were decent toilets and everybody was very friendly,I would definitely go again 

Edited by sim60
Spelling mistake
  • Thanks 1

There must be something else we can discuss concerning WPR, without moaning too much.

How about making the Medway Field the centre of the show for vehicles and green camping and have a very large arena.

Also let the re-enactors have a bit more space in Medway around the edges so as not to be one group on top of another?

1 hour ago, LarryH57 said:

There must be something else we can discuss concerning WPR, without moaning too much.

How about making the Medway Field the centre of the show for vehicles and green camping and have a very large arena.

Also let the re-enactors have a bit more space in Medway around the edges so as not to be one group on top of another?

Yep I like a moan went without expectation two visits over the week as mentioned before caught sight of one jobsworth only enjoyed both days no idea where medway or america field where don't recall seeing any signage for them just enjoyed the walk 

The Medway Field is found down a track that leads off Monktons Field and this track goes through some woods that then opens up in to the largest of all fields far bigger than all of the other fields and trade stand areas put together. To me its like having a game of football in the changing room and ignoring the pitch!

Where I was parked in Medway near the missing toilet (on the map) I'd need binoculars to see the opposite corner!

Edited by LarryH57

On 7/31/2018 at 12:55 PM, .303fan said:

"I've never understood why people moan about the cost of getting to the show, no one is forced to attend, its your choice."

not went for 3 years now, my dad the 101fc ambulance driver died last May...  the extra charge did not help to get more toilets, and the value for money seemed to drop so why pay to get in that show?  

Friends that went this year ended it short and will not go back again. Time for other shows, keeping my eye on the one in Twente NL on how it develops and going for veterans days. 

As i said no one forces you to go. if you don't like it stay away,it will save you £1500 to spend elsewhere.

7 out of Ten for Me.

I was VERY annoyed, to find,that you  were NOT allowed to peg out/ mark your own area. 🤬

Prior to the 19th,  & when arriving at 10am on the 19th, observed LOTs & LOTs of areas already pegged out! 

NO WAY in the world, could that amount of pitches. Could have been marked out & pegged in Two hours, even if you 

said that 'People' had started at 8am, as a reasonable starting time!

I struggled to get the space area I wanted, in the same spot as I had last year! I know that others had similar 'difficulties' as I had over this!..🤒

It would seem, there were a lot of 'The favoured Few; so to speak! 😡

But overall, as this is my Annual Holiday due to personal Circumstance's. & I made the best that I could from the show. 

Yes it was VERY Hot & dusty for sure! But that was certainly NOT the Organiser's fault! ☀️   

And some other gripe's were, that it was VERY clearly stated on the webpage for the show, regarding NO private selling upon pain of a Dealer fee for your pitch! No Vehicle speed  strict 5 mph, NO children on quadbikes./motorbikes!.....

ALL of these 'Strict' Rulings were CONSTANTLY abused / ignored from start to finish of the show!!!

It was very annoying to be showered is dust from speeding vehicles going past each time...

That was Unessacary & inconsiderate towards all exhibitor's!  It was uncomfortable enough in the Heat.

Without having to be covered in dust showers each time a speeding vehicle passed by! 

Other than that, will I go back again next year. Despite all of the above points?  Yes I would.

But NOT before having a 'word' on the phone with the organiser about marking out a pitch for myself!

If He can do it for 'The favoured Few', then He can Damm well do it for ME!!!!!......

It was ok for me & look forward to going again.

This didn't effect me where I was camped, but when visiting people there was the age old problem of kiddies riding all manner of mechanical transport up & down, round & round. Dangerous for them & for pedestrians.

This also stirred up the dust together with the majority of drivers going around for a jaunt who drive, although only a modest speed, far too fast for the dusty conditions showing no consideration for the people walking or camped that they shower in dust.

The rule against pegging out an area is thanks to that guy pegging out half a soccer field for himself and his Landrover, and the other half for his mate that comes tomorrow with a jeep...

People will complain if other people do that, people will complain if they're not allowed to do it. Sometimes you just can't win as organizer. Overall I'm glad this rule is there, although I understand you are negatively surprised to see some people still manage to start early.

I'm happy they still allow people to sell some bits & bobs from their pitch, it makes walking around that much more fun and in the past I found some great gear for friendly prices there. I also understand they will step in when you have a complete market pitch and don't pay the rate real stallholders pay.

As for the dust being kicked up, that's not the organizer's fault and there isn't much he can do about it... or does anyone really expect a marshall is posted every 50 meters or so with a laser gun? I guess a few signs reminding drivers of the dust they kick up will be far more effective.

eight-ish out of ten for the show - two out of ten for owners of exhibits who park them back on the the road thouse with civi type tents against the road with an old ripped parachute sort of hiding the fact they havant a ex-military one and you are not supposed to notice the car besides the tent - you know the ones who sit around not interested in answering questions should anyone ask about their vehicle -  I know there on holiday not actually attending a show who's visitors may like to ask a question out of pure interest - same again next year

8 hours ago, ferretfixer said:

ALL of these 'Strict' Rulings were CONSTANTLY abused / ignored from start to finish of the show!!!

It was very annoying to be showered is dust from speeding vehicles going past each time...

That was Unessacary & inconsiderate towards all exhibitor's!

Well said Mike,  If we didn't moan then all these things would be ignored and it would turn into a theme park. 6 out 10 for me.