War & Peace Revival - 2018

LarryH57

I'd rather not pre-book and pay later, because they might be really upset if there is one less Lightweight Landrover at the show if I don't turn up!

Lwts are getting rarer now (well ones that have not been restored all out of all recognision!)

Edited by LarryH57

1 hour ago, earlymb said:

My experience (although that might have changed now) is that they don't even bother to check if you actually have a vehicle with you when you report at booking-in...

Because now, it's ALL about the Money!...…😞 Or am I being too cynical? 😱

• Like 1

Just received a website message from W&PR. You can now buy at Extra cost, VIP tickets for Toilets!!!!  Does this mean that they are not going to supply the extra toilets & excellent showers as 'The Norm' this year?  Or are we are faced yet AGAIN, with the 'opportunity' to have no choice but put our hands in our pockets?....

4 hours ago, ferretfixer said:

Just received a website message from W&PR. You can now buy at Extra cost, VIP tickets for Toilets!!!!  Does this mean that they are not going to supply the extra toilets & excellent showers as 'The Norm' this year?  Or are we are faced yet AGAIN, with the 'opportunity' to have no choice but put our hands in our pockets?....

cant help thinking this whole show is going to end in tears,,,,,,,,

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gas 44 said:

cant help thinking this whole show is going to end in tears,,,,,,,,

It will be sad if it does, But you may very well be right! :(  Finding another venue that is large enough to host a show of this size, Still located down south will be difficult! Shame about losing Folkstone, I LOVED that venue!

I know some didn't, but Human nature being what it is, you will never satisfy everyone. On every single thing connected with a show of this magnitude!..

On 7/12/2018 at 6:09 AM, ferretfixer said:

It will be sad if it does, But you may very well be right! :(  Finding another venue that is large enough to host a show of this size, Still located down south will be difficult! Shame about losing Folkstone, I LOVED that venue!

I know some didn't, but Human nature being what it is, you will never satisfy everyone. On every single thing connected with a show of this magnitude!..

The venue is not a problem and to be honest it does not have to be in KENT. But I must agree the Racecourse was great for a lot of people.

The problem is having an owner who cares what people think.......i will leave it at that.

• Like 1

I note that again this year, there are threats of death and destruction for anyone selling stuff off their camping spots......well, maybe not death, but demands for much money (I want to be there when they try this on a bunch of hairy chested Dutch enthusiasts!).  Now last year, there was a verbal promise that this does not apply to the usual small scale trading of unwanted bits and bobs, rather to commercial type traders trading on the sly.....fair enough.  Was this a significant problem in the past? Cannot recall it was.

I have not been to WPR four about 3 or 4 years at either location but I have decided to give it a go this year and may bring my own toilet - a small chemical one is quite cheap.

Plus also the WPR team did say that I can book in a and pay on the day which is good if you are rushing to complete your MV project in time but are unsure if it will be ready and potentially waste £35 for a 'no show'.

GO, LARRYH57!  Its still the biggest and best, IMHO, unless you want quiet and intimate!  Its not rained significantly down here in Kent for two months now so "Dust and Peace" is definitely on the cards this year!  Time to get down and dusty!!  I say this with heavy heart as my own intended MV is still in bits!:(

Yesterday I drove my GMC to the WP show.  I intended to leave the truck with the group I am camping with, who are also Marshalls for the event, and head home to return next week. I was told I "Had" to book in so I went to the booking in office. This is where it started.

I explained I was dropping the truck off, who it was with, and who I was. They found my name on the list, no problem there, but then insisted I had to take a wrist band and book in. I explained I was only there for 15 minutes to deliver the vehicle and then I was heading home for the next three days, so I would rather not take a wrist band as it will be dangerous to keep on at work, and will get defaced. 

"£30 Deposit then, or you can't go in!" I was greeted with.

I was a touch shocked, as he could see I had the correct booking in forms and was entitled to a wrist band, but he was just very rude and insisted I could just "Disappear" into the show, when I could just take a wrist band and do that anyhow and I did intent to return for my truck!

I asked what would happen when I take my wrist band off as I have to work between now and my arrival back "Then you pay £30 for a new one" I was pleasantly greeted with. He was rude, unhelpful and quite obviously didn't want to be in the trailer. He successfully made me feel small, as if I was trying to scam the show and untrustworthy, also in front of another vehicle owner as well!

So I have filled my truck with £70 of fuel, driven to the show site, been greeted with a bloody rude booking in official, who has already partly ruined my experience to be honest. If I did not bring vehicles, like everyone else, there would be no WP show. I do not appreciate being treated like I am scamming the show, and the clear undertone of money-making is very evident. 

What happened to the friendly understanding staff Rex once employed? Do low-loader drivers all have to have a wrist band, do they have to pay? Money, that is all it is about. I do not like someone barking "£30 deposit or you cannot go in" over and over at me when I am an exhibitor!

Shame on you WP show. You are run by people who do not care about Military vehicles, the hobby, or the community to which supports it. Maybe stick to shooting shows and hand WP back so somebody can run it who cares. Already while driving in I was nearly struck by a group of teenage girls in a golf cart thrashing around the site, obviously with no insurance or licensing.. once again, War and Fleece is upon us. I think this may well be my last time there.

Booking in have already dragged a grey cloud over the show for me, thank you for your pleasant and warm welcoming staff after a 30 mile drive in rush hour traffic in a 1940's vehicle. I am sorry I inconvenienced them from their smart phones and coffee, next time I shall not bother.

Edited by paul connor
  • Like 1

Sadly this seems to be a continuing experience for a growing number of previously loyal war&peace  exhibitors who will probably never go there again. Why pay fee upon fee to the organisers who then charge Joe public to come in and look at your vehicle?

Win-win for them........

• Like 1

Terry, I think your view is shared by a lot of folk (pay fees to attract the public, etc), but I Think you are comparing W&P with club type shows that have modest financial ambitions in hoping to at least break even.  For shows of that ilk, we expect free entry but modest if not rudimentary provisions for the exhibitor. There is give and take by exhibitors and organisers for the sake of the hobby.  On the other hand, W&P is a fully commercial undertaking and seeks thereby (presumably) to achieve a decent return for its outlay.  MV exhbitors are as much the organisers' customers as the general public........and actually, the stall traders.   BUT, that means we (exhibitors, traders and public) have every right to expect and demand full value for our custom.  We should not put up with poor services, poor trader turnout, toilets or unhelpful staff.  

23 minutes ago, Tony B said:

About time they were reminded, We don't turn up all you have is an empty feild. I won't go as I refuse to pay money to park MY vehicle, at MY Expense so the organisers can charge the public to come and see it!

I  totally agree Tony, I have never been to War and Peace because I disagree with paying to exhibit my vehicle, the organisers say that it is a charge for a week's camping, but as my vehicle is fitted with everything that I need including a toilet it is a charge for parking. 

I help to organise Lacock at War and we are proud of the relationship we have with both exhibitors and visitors,  our toilets are spotless and regularly checked, we don't charge for campervan or caravans (they use the National Trust car park at no cost ) and we go out of our way to make sure the exhibitors and traders are happy. Admittedly W&P is vastly bigger, but if you look after the people that make the show (exhibitors and traders ) then they will keep coming back.

Lacock at War is on the 18th and 19th of August, see westwiltsmvt.org.uk

Tony and John, I think you are refusing to consider W&P as what it is......a commercial event.  Its charging everyone what the market will bear, and whether you attend or not, it is still without doubt the biggest show in UK at least and if you do not get full value out of your camping fee by way of (among other things) access to a huge gathering of MVs and a huge collection of stalls, then you are doing something seriously wrong!  No show I have ever been to comes close.  IT IS NOT A CLUB SHOW!  As I said, the other upside of "paying to show your MV" is that you are a customer with every right to demand value for money.  As a commercial show, if the punters feel they are not getting value, they dont come and the show fails.  So far, it seems, enough punters feel they are getting value.  But I know a few folk who will not exhibit for the reasons you state, but funnily enough come for the day as paying (handsomely) public.  Not sure I see their reasoning beyond bliddy mindedness!   Still, it takes all sorts.

Ferg, if a company treats it's customer's the way the organisers at WPR do they deserve to go out of buisness. My Compoany boss' attitude is 'Be nice to people, because bums on seat pay wages, and being nice does make life so much easier for everyone'.

WPR would benift from such a change of attitude.

John you are so right.  The little words from the organisers , So nice to see you thanks for coming, costs nothing but is th eoil that makes the show go well.

Edited by Tony B
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tony B said:

Ferg, if a company treats it's customer's the way the organisers at WPR do they deserve to go out of buisness. My Compoany boss' attitude is 'Be nice to people, because bums on seat pay wages, and being nice does make life so much easier for everyone'.

WPR would benift from such a change of attitude.

John you are so right.  The little words from the organisers , So nice to see you thanks for coming, costs nothing but is th eoil that makes the show go well.

Booked in on Thursday and very friendly staff at booking in, no problems at all. Been going to this event since it started at Tenterden steam railway and was the IMPS annual military vehicle show and then moved to Beltring. I have only missed one, in 1995 (had a much better offer, several weeks trekking across Australia in old MV's). There are people coming from the far side of the world this year (as they do most years), a good number are friends and good to meet them. I will be there enjoying myself as will my friends.

regards, Richard