War & Peace Revival - 2018

LarryH57

Had four days on site this year, thought that vehicle numbers had increased from last year ( look how many were in Medway) and stall numbers were around the same as 2017 - if you remember there was a large gap at the end far end then as well. 

For me Thursday and Friday felt a bit like the old W&P with good turnouts in the arena, a large number of people watching from the bank, and general good fun with friends both during the day and night. 

Everyone will have a different opinion, and yes it will probably never be quite like the old show, but the move back to the Hop Farm has certainly saved the show IMO. No matter what gripes people have come the start of July next year we shall all be looking forward to it once again. 

Went Tuesday,  had a good day all round but was pushed for time, the Tuesday start is a good idea though as I work Wednesday to Wednesday so at least I can one day in before I start work hopefully next year will have the Matchless with me and stay down for the 5 days etc.

What did get my back up is having to get out the way of vehicles driving to and from the trade stands on the small stretch of road from the entrance.

Toilets were just the same (limited in my view) and the no discount on the gate for serving Forces members or Veterans...... can accept paying the extra £10,  but think they could at least give the veterans a free entry,  found that a that a bit naughty myself........ 

Good to meet up with a few members of another forum but again didn't have enough time although I was there 6 1/2 hrs.

I have to admit I much preferred it when it was at Western Hanger easy access for public transport off the train  and straight into the ground. 

Edited by bigduke6

Just back after 7 days at the show. Nothing to complain about, a lot of different vehicles appearing, plenty of armour from all eras. Met up with a lot of old friends from all over the world. We all enjoyed ourselves and it was a good laid back week. Weather excelled itself, just like the early years of the show, when it had a reputation of being hot and dry. Look forward to the next one.

• Thanks 1

I am with you on this Richard. Great time had by all. Our 31st show here.

Whilst the £35 represented an increase it has to be said that without this there may be no show to go to. This issue has been around since we started and whilst I appreciate that without us there is no show either, it is no longer possible to ignore the economics that organisers face. We went to another show on the way home and it was rained off so .that possibly makes my point.

Hope to see all, and more, next year. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MARTIN CROSS said:

I am with you on this Richard. Great time had by all. Our 31st show here.

Whilst the £35 represented an increase it has to be said that without this there may be no show to go to. This issue has been around since we started and whilst I appreciate that without us there is no show either, it is no longer possible to ignore the economics that organisers face. We went to another show on the way home and it was rained off so .that possibly makes my point.

Hope to see all, and more, next year. 

Hi Martin,

It was good to catch up with you at the IMPS get-together the other night.

regards, Richard

My thinking is that your enjoyment of any show is mostly down to your own attitude, go looking for perfection with pre-conceived prejudices and you're sure to be disappointed.

I have no interest in toilets or food and beer prices at shows because I take my own, I very rarely buy from the stalls, I had no problems with staff at all. I feel no need to analyse or question the owners actions, I live in the moment.

I had seven busy days there and I had a great time every minute of that time, meeting many old friends and making new ones, driving around in my own vehicle and others as is only really possible at W&PR.

I put a walk talkie in my exhibit so that I could interact with MOPs from a shady spot some way off, which was properly hilarious, I kept it up till I succumbed to witty banter overload.

I went in the arena three times (why so few people partake in showing their vehicles in the arena is always a puzzle to me)  and went on a couple of convoys, even went out on the road to the garage for petrol on the Cent ARVE ! 

And loads of other stuff.

I thought the Spitfire bar and stage was a great improvement this time.

Roll on next year!

Bernard

• Like 2

Hello everyone, does anyone else find displaying swastikas  and ss insignia in the form of flags and t-shirts distasteful at w&p? I have no issue in context for example on vehicle markings and uniform. Do the stalls really need to sell swastika and ss mugs and shirts? I reported to the show office that a  german exhibiter was flying a large swastika flag in the corner of medway field but nothing was done.

I also had a very concerning conversation at the bar with an english guy in a german reenactment group on site who declared himself to me as a racist and English patriot. At that point i left. 

Is there an undercurrent at w&p that I've not previously noticed? What do the paying public think of all this, its certainly something i want no part of.

Fred

8 hours ago, LarryH57 said:

Fred, you may remember a few years back that a TV program like Panorama came to W&P in the hope of showing up all British reenactors of German units as racist but failed!

They would have found a different conclusion if they talked to this chap! Don't get me wrong if reenacting was my bag it would undoubtedly be ww2 german as the kit and uniforms are great. I also own a replica german bike sidecar but the swastikas have been discreetly left off.

Just a few observations.

Toilets , in the America's field where you enter were ok. None of those, "look at Poo Mountain when you enter".  Mostly toilet paper available. A toilet block (white building) would have been nice.

When we arrived in America's field all seemed roped off. We went to a official at the entrance of US field and he was very helpful, we got a good spot.

There seemed to be a lot of showers near  the stone building.  The Hop farm itself should built a showerblock at the America's field. We were glad to see a waterpoint in the  America's field. Anyway, a few showers in the America's field would have been nice.

So at least in my view some improvements over last year.

I thought I would add a concluding summary to my previous posts.

Good Points:

Vehicles/Displays. Turn out was pretty good, there were loads of new vehicles large and small I had never seen. Also a good supply of armour being displayed. Living history was good, with some nice details. Home Front village is expanding and I really do love it there. Great effort to all concerned. I enjoyed that the best for sure.

Staff. Well after my initial run in with Mr Rude, the booking-in official, the rest seemed very helpful. I guess that one guy, who upset others, needs addressing and maybe asked to not attend in future if he has such a poor attitude. Booking in should be greeting exhibitors, as well as handing them all the programme and welcome pack, something I also did not get. Overall good, except an individual.

Public. I think other than the Saturday there was a significant drop in numbers, maybe this was the weather or the lack of a full weekend for their attendance. Saturday was clearly busier, which was good and the arena was watched by a huge crowd.

Music/Beer tents. Victory was very low in attendance the nights I walked up there, which was quite strange as it is usually very busy. Spitfire tent was quite good with a new stage, which is a nice touch. The music wasn't to my liking, but I wasn't there to watch bands and being into Metal I was fully aware I would not get Motörhead or Iron Maiden! But the addition of stage is good and the atmosphere there the Saturday night was good and seemed popular.

Toilets. We booked our own, so I cannot really comment on that. But I didn't notice many around. So for me, showers and toilets were excellent.

Gripes:

Mr Rude. See above and previous posts.

Bins. Where were they? Black bags left in piles all through the living history areas and stalls. This looked awful and could easily be resolved. There was a decline in the  metal drums and their placement and number was insufficient. This caused people to create small piles of rubbish in areas. Not very nice, especially with the temperature.

Nazi Fanatics. While I do not have an issue with displays personally, I did this year with a few things I saw. Firstly was Nazi tattoos. A man with a full Himler sleeve piece on his arm, somewhat concerning! more so with the Swastika on the other upper arm. Another was noticed with clear Swastikas on both arms and a Tottenkopf deaths head on his hands. While freedom of expression is something that we all support, the subjective connotations this presented was somewhat shocking, moreover when wearing uniform to support it! But, that is not to be controlled by show staff I guess, just rather sinister to witness, especially with a German fiancee.  In the back field there was one man by himself in a civilian tent with Swastika bunting and a huge Swastika flag in the doorway of his tent. I have no idea what that was for or why? But it is unnecessary and as it has no context is offensive to many.

Caravans. It was disappointing to see so many displays ruined by civilian tents, caravans, gazebos and tarpaulins, losing the 'green' feel of the show. I was very surprised so many "UN" vehicles were paraded as having history and allowed in the displays. A 2004 Land Rover discovery is not UN, and the two Citroen Berlingo vans with UN on the sides made me realise that booking in do not care what rubbish people display as long as they have paid. These vehicles and civilian displays need to be all together, not mixed with people who have made such a valid and creditable effort.

Stalls. Bit lower than normal in numbers. A shame as the two stalls I actually went there for have boycotted the show, which is a shame - mail order it is then. I was a little confused with stalls selling such items as crystal skulls and healing crystals and shoe laces? I guess it will become a local market before long with a Del Boy and a suitcase selling fax machines and wind up porcelain cats that play 'how much is that doggy in the window'?

8/10.  Overall a good show, but I fear the numbers were a touch lower. Great to see some old friends whom I have not seen in a few years, and great social aspect to it all

More bins,  clear the civilian rubbish away from displays and keep it green! That's what people come to see, and monitor the area to ensure, like it was before, rules are adhered to with displays.

Paul

Edited by paul connor

Incidentally, I did not pre-book this year and turned up and paid to enter my MV - however I was surprised that no details of it were required at all, not even the make and registration nor any questions such which is your vehicle then mate?

Often it's the opposite thats true of MV shows - you are not allowed entry without having Insurance and MOT to hand and sometimes the V5!

Edited by LarryH57

8 minutes ago, paul connor said:

Good Points:

Vehicles/Displays. Turn out was pretty good, there were loads of new vehicles large and small I had never seen. Also a good supply of armour being displayed. Living history was good, with some nice details. Home Front village is expanding and I really do love it there. Great effort to all concerned. I enjoyed that the best for sure.

Staff. Well after my initial run in with Mr Rude, the booking-in official, the rest seemed very helpful. I guess that one guy, who upset others, needs addressing and maybe asked to not attend in future if he has such a poor attitude. Booking in should be greeting exhibitors, as well as handing them all the programme and welcome pack, something I also did not get. Overall good, except an individual.

Public. I think other than the Saturday there was a significant drop in numbers, maybe this was the weather or the lack of a full weekend for their attendance. Saturday was clearly busier, which was good and the arena was watched by a huge crowd.

Music/Beer tents. Victory was very low in attendance the nights I walked up there, which was quite strange as it is usually very busy. Spitfire tent was quite good with a new stage, which is a nice touch. The music wasn't to my liking, but I wasn't there to watch bands and being into Metal I was fully aware I would not get Motörhead or Iron Maiden! But the addition of stage is good and the atmosphere there the Saturday night was good and seemed popular.

Toilets. We booked our own, so I cannot really comment on that. But I didn't notice many around. So for me, showers and toilets were excellent.

Gripes:

Bins. Where were they? Black bags left in piles all through the living history areas and stalls. This looked awful and could easily be resolved. There was a decline in the  metal drums and their placement and number was insufficient. This caused people to create small piles of rubbish in areas. Not very nice, especially with the temperature.

Nazi Fanatics. While I do not have an issue with displays personally, I did this year with a few things I saw. Firstly was Nazi tattoos. A man with a full Himler sleeve piece on his arm, somewhat concerning! more so with the Swastika on the other upper arm. Another was noticed with clear Swastikas on both arms and a Tottenkopf deaths head on his hands. While freedom of expression is something that we all support, the subjective connotations this presented was somewhat shocking, moreover when wearing uniform to support it! But, that is not to be controlled by show staff I guess, just rather sinister to witness, especially with a German fiancee.  In the back field there was one man by himself in a civilian tent with Swastika bunting and a huge Swastika flag in the doorway of his tent. I have no idea what that was for or why? But it is unnecessary and as it has no context is offensive to many.

Caravans. It was disappointing to see so many displays ruined by civilian tents, caravans, gazebos and tarpaulins, losing the 'green' feel of the show. I was very surprised so many "UN" vehicles were paraded as having history and allowed in the displays. A 2004 Land Rover discovery is not UN, and the two Citroen Berlingo vans with UN on the sides made me realise that booking in do not care what rubbish people display as long as they have paid. These vehicles and civilian displays need to be all together, not mixed with people who have made such a valid and creditable effort.

Stalls. Bit lower than normal in numbers. A shame as the two stalls I actually went there for have boycotted the show, which is a shame - mail order it is then. I was a little confused with stalls selling such items as crystal skulls and healing crystals and shoe laces? I guess it will become a local market before long with a Del Boy and a suitcase selling fax machines and wind up porcelain cats that play 'how much is that doggy in the window'?

8/10.  Overall a good show, but I fear the numbers were a touch lower. Great to see some old friends whom I have not seen in a few years, and great social aspect to it all

More bins,  clear the civilian rubbish away from displays and keep it green! That's what people come to see, and monitor the area to ensure, like it was before, rules are adhered to with displays.

Paul

Paul the flag and bunting man was the fellow I suggested show staff should visit but to no avail.

Yes. It is unfortunate that some people are so extremely narrow minded. I also thought many groups would eject members if they conveyed such extremist views? It is unfortunate with the current political choices towards the continent that many have interpreted this as acceptance to be openly racist and bigoted, which they somehow assume others now have to accept or tolerate.

On 7/24/2018 at 10:34 PM, .303fan said:

That is why we took our own food and cooker. The engel fridge used batteries but chaging those was a problem. A gen set shall be build with a 2.2 BMC diesel as base with a 2a land rover main box to drive two generators giving a few kva. 

My wife and myself can't accept the toilet fee put on price of entry while she cannot make the trip by wheelchair and a bucket got used instead why pay for something you don't use?

Toilets will always be a issue,  the value for money feeling plays as we paid £1500 to get to the show with a 101fc and 109  with Sankey next to a crew support car. My wife is pissed on the new organiser as he called us allsorts to get in the show cheap. We shall see, we might just say no to the W&PR for ever. I do like smaller steam shows to show the vehicles and have fun. 

Where do you live to spend £1500 getting there.

36 minutes ago, paul connor said:

Good Points:

Gripes:

Paul

This year I took my motorhome, as I have for the last ten years, I make no effort to cover up a large piece of white plastic, that to be honest make W&P much more enjoyable,Nice toilet Nice shower,Ice in the freezer  for G&T and plenty of cold beers.

However I park in which ever field I'm instructed to, this year it was America's. I would NEVER consider trying to hide it in say MONKTONS ,BUT THEN THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH SMALL HOME FROM HOME....is there. ?

1 hour ago, paul connor said:

Good Points:

Gripes:

Paul

About mixing wrong and right vehicles.

I agree in principle but don't forget most of these mixes occur when friends camp together.

At Folkestone it was supposed to be WW2 and post war seperated. But how would that work if 1 friend has a WW2 Jeep and another a landrover? So would our little group have to break up?

And yes, booking and paying is the important thing, not what you bring.

I was quite surprised last year to see caravans and vehicles mixed but it seemed to not be a problem.

At Folkestone my friend had to cover his "claasic' vehicle because he was in the Ww2 field. When entering he was told to park anywhere. A official said only "mint and concourse condition" vehicles were allowed as classics and his was just a "old car", (Ok, it was a 1984 renault 5.) what a joker he was...guess he was a little man with a bit of power who just wanted to be OBEYED..

So we bought expensive  materials to cover up but the big blue German truck was left as is even though Little %$#$@ said he'd do something about that one too. And maaaany more vehicles too.

Why didn't you just go up to the UN guys for a talk?

Still I do get your point.

17 hours ago, .303fan said:

£1500 in costs.. One 109 petrol with sankey from north lincs, one 101fc ambulance from near amsterdam and a support car with trailer. Boat costs and fuel cost a lot, camping cost extra as there were 6 adults. Food costs not included.

I've never understood why people moan about the cost of getting to the show, no one is forced to attend, its your choice.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Enigma said:

About mixing wrong and right vehicles.

I agree in principle but don't forget most of these mixes occur when friends camp together.

At Folkestone it was supposed to be WW2 and post war seperated. But how would that work if 1 friend has a WW2 Jeep and another a landrover? So would our little group have to break up?

And yes, booking and paying is the important thing, not what you bring.

I was quite surprised last year to see caravans and vehicles mixed but it seemed to not be a problem.

At Folkestone my friend had to cover his "claasic' vehicle because he was in the Ww2 field. When entering he was told to park anywhere. A official said only "mint and concourse condition" vehicles were allowed as classics and his was just a "old car", (Ok, it was a 1984 renault 5.) what a joker he was...guess he was a little man with a bit of power who just wanted to be OBEYED..

So we bought expensive  materials to cover up but the big blue German truck was left as is even though Little %$#$@ said he'd do something about that one too. And maaaany more vehicles too.

Why didn't you just go up to the UN guys for a talk?

Still I do get your point.

I'm not sure that I agree about the booking and paying and not what you bring.

I was under the impression it was a military vehicle sort of show, not a white van show ??

• Thanks 1