Standard Beaverette Pre Restoration information gathering

tyler

Hi I have had a great interest in these vehicle for many years and had done quite a bit of research already, I had considered building a replica of a Beaverette but other projects got in the way.

I was then fortunate enough to come across one available for the 1st time in 20+ years so snapped it up.
So as the dream is now a reality I now need to crack on, hence my post on here.

Does anyone have any photo's, information, manuals, parts suppliers, links to suppliers/sources of information etc, or parts relevant to Beaverette's as I now have one which I am in the process of restoring.

Also manuals, parts supplies, or parts relevant to standard 12/14 and that were used on Beaverette's.

Thanks

Tyler.

The IWM have these:-

Flying Standard parts list for A.M. 14 h.p. Beaverette, mark III and IV

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1500083740

Maintenance manual and instruction book for car 4x2 light reconnaissance Standard 'Beaverette', Mark IV

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1500087354

See "Documents":-

The Standard Motor Club forum might be a useful starting point:-

http://standardclub.proboards.com/

On 3/13/2018 at 5:45 PM, MatchFuzee said:

The IWM have these:-

Flying Standard parts list for A.M. 14 h.p. Beaverette, mark III and IV

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1500083740

Maintenance manual and instruction book for car 4x2 light reconnaissance Standard 'Beaverette', Mark IV

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1500087354

See "Documents":-

I had found those but they are not view-able along with most of there Beaverette related items, so I had already contacted them hoping they would fix the website issues so they would become viewable, but no luck so far.

The Standard Motor Club forum seems more based towards the civi side of things and rather quite, although I have posted this there to cover all bases.

On 3/14/2018 at 11:00 AM, Pzkpfw-e said:

Do tell us more. Which one is it? The ex-Grange Cavern one, ex-Wheatcroft? or another one? http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_British_Early_Armoured_Cars.pdf

From my research this is a previously unknown example, there are 10 survivors that I am aware of at present, including my example.

My one has been in use since the end of the war, including having been road registered since at least 1963. unfortunately no military history but the paperwork history that it came with stretches 40 years and is very detailed indeed, so it has plenty of provenance. 

There is plenty of work to be done as it was use on a private estate for the estate owners own quadbike come run around as such, this can be seen in the ebay listing and pics, but its all part of the fun.

The only remains of the armored body is the front glacis plate, 18" / foot wells of the bulkhead and the lower sills, the rest is Kaput.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1943-STANDARD-TRIUMPH-BEAVERETTE-EX-ARMOURED-CAR-VERY-RARE-RUNS-amp-DRIVES-LOOK-/201991551646?nma=true&si=Pxp8K33X%2BmXQTsfde5UsehZCvho%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.1f74f921ce5e50cc40eba0b94327499c.jpg

Edited by tyler

3 hours ago, tyler said:

I had found those but they are not view-able along with most of there Beaverette related items, so I had already contacted them hoping they would fix the website issues so they would become viewable, but no luck so far.

I missed this link out yesterday, it appears that you can order copies of documents from IWM collections, see DOCUMENTS on this page:-

https://www.iwm.org.uk/commercial/collections-sales-licensing

• Like 1

I have seen the above photo a few times and unlike the one the IWM have this one appears to be constructed out of one single plate for the hull side’s not but welded sections of the one at Duxford. Out of interest there are six entries in the Chilwell list M.4310618 onwards covering Standard Car 4x2 Armoured Mk.1.  Mk.II. Mk.III, and Mk.IV

• Like 1

On 3/14/2018 at 4:47 PM, Baz48 said:

The IWM Beaverette before and after

Baz do you have any more pics/info on Duxfords one eg where and when it was recovered? I know Cyril G, Groombridge was 
mentioned as owning it in 1971 in Wheels & Tracks but thats about all. I had vaguely heard it had been found cut down and then rebuilt but I didn't realize that cut down example you pictured was the same example as Cyril's/Duxfords.

Whilst gaining information for mine I am also trying to gain and note down as much info as possible on the other current survivors . As some old documents that came with mine list other examples that may be still in existence. which then means I can pass that on to the present keepers

On 3/15/2018 at 5:12 PM, Morris C8 said:

This is a original photo from my collection at an RAF base 1944. Reg number RAF 37443

Keith

Keith Nice photo and a camo scheme I've not seen before, although I'm sure I've seen this photo elsewhere with other photos of the same vehicle, do you have any more? 

2 hours ago, Baz48 said:

Out of interest there are six entries in the Chilwell list M.4310618 onwards covering Standard Car 4x2 Armoured Mk.1.  Mk.II. Mk.III, and Mk.IV

Baz Out of interest what is the Chilwell list? Also do you have a copy of the Chilwell list? 

Edited by tyler

I probably have other photos of the Beaverette some I think as it was being restored by its owner Dave Bygraves in the MT-yard Duxford. When I get a moment I will have a sort through. From memory it was found as shown in a derelict state by Dave near Henlow Bedfordshire and brought to Duxford around 74. After the mechanicals were sorted the missing top to the hull was constructed and welded on, all vision flaps made and fitted. The turret, seat and gun mount donated I think from Holland but that’s only my memory. I have driven it a couple of times best described as interesting. While Cyril Groombridge’s name is familiar he did not own the vehicle when it arrived at Duxford that was as mentioned my friend Dave Bygraves and his mate Eddie Betts.

The Chilwell list is to give it its full title = Allocation by Central Census Tank and Vehicles of “B” Vehicles W.D. Numbers first edition Royal Army Ordnance Corps Central Ordnance Depot, Chilwell (Hence it known as the Chilwell list) inside the front cover = Schedule of allocations of W.D. numbers to “B” vehicles Chilwell 23 Nov 44. There are additions to this list passed the date shown on the cover and included in the list I had (lent and not returned) I have subsequently been loan a list to copy digitally for my own use

17 hours ago, tyler said:

Baz do you have any more pics/info on Duxfords one eg where and when it was recovered? I know Cyril G, Groombridge was 
mentioned as owning it in 1971 in Wheels & Tracks but thats about all. I had vaguely heard it had been found cut down and then rebuilt but I didn't realize that cut down example you pictured was the same example as Cyril's/Duxfords.

Whilst gaining information for mine I am also trying to gain and note down as much info as possible on the other current survivors . As some old documents that came with mine list other examples that may be still in existence. which then means I can pass that on to the present keepers

Keith Nice photo and a camo scheme I've not seen before, although I'm sure I've seen this photo elsewhere with other photos of the same vehicle, do you have any more? 

Baz Out of interest what is the Chilwell list? Also do you have a copy of the Chilwell list? 

Sorry that is the only photo i have